Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

permissions for backing up Vanilla

have been trying to backup the vanilla folder by simply downloading it from the server. i keep running into trouble because I don't have permission to download. seems like i have to change the permissions each time when downloading and then set them back to how they where. seems odd but I'm guessing this is how to do it. any advice as to what permissions to set it to?

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You should Use an ftp client such as filezilla or similar depending on your computer's OS.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

@R08 This can get a bit tricky depending on your server configuration. Really, you only need to backup the uploads folder and conf/config.php file.

If you're running Apache on Linux, the files are probably owned by the server user (e.g. 'apache' or 'nobody'). You'll want to grant Read access to Other, which should allow you to download them. Numerically (e.g. if you currently have 750 as your permissions), that would be switching the third number to a 4.

• Options

well looks like the problem is not just my Vanilla folder. did some more testing and can't download any folder or file through FTP, even on other folders. "file denied, wrong permissions" . connected as default admin root access user and still nothing.

• Options

can't imagine it's my FTP because I was just using it up until now. also tested through other FTP program and same problem. Using HostGator if that's relevant.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

I think it's probably time to contact the host for support.

• Options

I did. it turns out the folder it was downloading to (on my local comp) was read only.
    Talk about bad error messages. it was correct the folder was not writable but wish it was more clear and pointed to which computer.