Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sorting by views

Hello,

Is there a way to sort by views?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• If you want to sort by popularity, you can try the Hot Threads plugin:
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/hotthreads-plugin

• Thanks a lot, awesome, just arrived to this community :)

• What about the warning at the top?

Warning!
    This community-contributed addon has not been tested or code-reviewed. Use at your own risk.

Who reviews and tests all the addons?

• Basically only core team pluigns don't have that warning. I can vouch for businessdad he is professional.

It used to be that people got their plugin approved, but nowadays nobody bothers, and I don't think the core team have time for it.

grep is your friend.

• I can't believe this is not a core plugin.

Pretty weird to me.

When I go to a new forum, the first thing I do is sorting by most views...

• I don't think it is weird at all.

Lot of people do lots of different things. That does't mean it should be in the core. If they included every want an need it would be super bloated.

It is called Vanilla not Tuti-Fruti. That is why vanilla is pluggable so people can do what they want.

Why would people want a thread which is 5 years old that happens to have a lot of views? Obviously you want something a bit less crude.

Searching by views is actually somethign if find not that useful, except it is filtered by something else first.

A 'hot' thread is one that has recent activity and is getting a lot of views.

grep is your friend.

• All this pluggable thing, when you update the core, addons might break?

I think the answer is yes, but I am asking it anyways :)

This is what scares me the most...

• You shouldn't directly update the core. Unless you are making a fork, in which case you are responsible for that.

grep is your friend.

• If you mean applying updates, yes some plugins could be old. But the larger the core the more there is to maintain, so you win some you loose some.

Look for active plugin developers.

grep is your friend.

• General speaking security/minor update are less likely to break thing (unless the plugin itself is using insecure methods). It is when there is a major release, like every two year that they can be a bigger transition.

I mean phpBB recently do a massive change it moved form a mod based system to a pluggable system.

grep is your friend.

• Yes I know.

I use phpbb but wanted to give a try to VF.

I meant by updating the VF version.

• What I'm saying is phpBB currently only has a few extension for 3.1 and old mods won't work.

This is the reality of major changes. Stuff has to get redeveloped.

grep is your friend.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@kamaleon‌

As x00 says, there is the chance that if the core is updated then some plugins may not work without modifications, and if the plugin is no longer supported by the author that may be it.

However, unless there is a major change in the core, most updates won't affect plugins.

If you use a plugin and find it doesn't work later, there are developers on here who could almost certainly make something for you if you are prepared to pay for it.

• Great thanks and good to know :smile: