Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

issue viewing forum from new domain

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved my forum to a dedicated domain. I'm hosting it on one of my Godaddy ultimate plans. This allows me to create a folder and then assign a domain to that folder. With that being said, my forum is located at:

effluximages.com/knkforum

The domain pointed to that folder is

klicnkut.com

Everything seems to function properly when viewing the forum from the first link, but when browsing from the domain, I get a server error.

I've deleted all ini files from the cache, with no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited February 2015

If your forum is installed in effluximages.com/knkforum that is the link to the forum.

What is this ? klicnkut.com

the new domain you moved it too ? a place where you embedded the forum ?

I see the same forum installed in two domains or subdomains

It is possible that you have pointed to the wrong database in one of these installations.

This works effluximages.com/knkforum

This klicnkut.com throws a 500 error when you go to a discussion . Look in the php error logs in the server error log console at GoDaddy and see if there is a clue.

Make sure the correct info is in the config.php and the htaccess files.

• Thanks for the response,

The way the hosting account works is the domain (klicnkut.com) is pointed to a folder created (in this case, effluximages.com/knkforum). When you go to klicnkut.com, you are actually looking at one installation, not two. In other words, I only have one actual installation of the forum.

Hope this makes sense!

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

so your domain is klicnkut.com

you installed a subdomain called effluximages.com where you installed vanilla ?

You need to uninstall the one you added to the root in klicnkut.com if the new home for the forum is effluximages.com/knkforum

You seem to have two installations if you can access it from the root domain as well as the subdomain.

• Thanks again,

However, I do only have one installation. What you see at klicnkut.com can not exist without the installation at effluximages.com/knkforum. Effluximages.com is the primary domain, so any other domains I add to my hosted account reside in folders created under effluximages.com, which is why you can see the same exact installation of vanilla in both places. From my point of view, there should be no reason why everything works great from effluximages.com/knk forums but not klicnkut.com, since they are one in the same.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Anoroc said:
    Thanks again,

However, I do only have one installation. What you see at klicnkut.com can not exist without the installation at effluximages.com/knkforum. Effluximages.com is the primary domain, so any other domains I add to my hosted account reside in folders created under effluximages.com, which is why you can see the same exact installation of vanilla in both places. From my point of view, there should be no reason why everything works great from effluximages.com/knk forums but not klicnkut.com, since they are one in the same.

You are relying some server routing rules to have a subfolder be configured as a different domain. Vanilla needs to know the domain it is being served under, IIRC. So it can store cookies.

A proper, and I know that sounds pretentious, way to host multiple domains on a single IP is to have separate folders that serve as your webroot for your domain. E.g. I host 2 sites on a single VPS. I store the files in /doesnotmatter/html/example.com/ and /doesnotmatter/html/example2.com/. Now all you need to do is catch the incoming domain via your server rules and pass it to the appropriate folder.

Even the crappiest shared hosting plan I have used allows you to point your primary domain to a subfolder. Do it and save yourself the headache.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Are you trying to have two domains for one forum?

This is not SEO friendly as it counts as duplication. The correct thing to do is 301 redirect.

grep is your friend.

• @hgtonight - Thanks for that. I rarely use my godaddy hosting account, and I do find it weird. I'll probably just switch gears and host elsewhere.

@x00 - that was not my intention. It's just how my hosting account "forces" me to do things.

Thanks for the help!!

• Anoroc I don't think you are correct. I think you are getting muddled between domains and servers.

Anyway like I said using two domain on the same installation is problematic in itself.

grep is your friend.