Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SSO with WordPress

cujcuj New
edited February 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello, this is my first post in the community as I am a new user to Vanilla Forums, so thank you for taking the time to look into my question.

Background Info:
I have a site running with the latest version of WordPress. I have a subdomain running a base install of Vanilla Forums and latest version. On the WordPress end I have setup and configured the Vanilla Forums plugin. On the Vanilla side I have installed JS Connect and Vanilla jsConnect Auto SignIn. I followed the official installation and configuration guide for SSO with WP from Vanilla Forums. Everything seems to be working fine, I can log into my WP site, head to my forums subdomain and bam, I'm logged in.

My question:
I'm wondering if I can have users log in using WP credentials on the Vanilla Forums side. Right now my registration is set to "Connect" so they register with the WP site and sign in through WP. Can I change this method and have them Sign in right on the Vanilla Forums webpage as well? When I've changed it to "Basic" and tried logging in, it says I need to reset my password but it notices my user name since I've logged in before with the SSO.

Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I just want to create the smoothest experience for my users and give them both options of logging into the Vanilla forums or WP to access the forums if it's possible.

Thank you in advance,

Cuj

Best Answer

Answers

• I do have "Make this the default connection" set and right now they can log into the WP site, hit the forums and are logged in. So, I'm not sure if I understanding correctly but if I add the ?redirect=forum.yoursite.com/sso to the login redirect URL, and have the site using "basic" instead of "connect" that will allow them to sign right in without having to go to the WP side? Or am I misunderstanding. Thank you for your great reply though to clarify it for me !

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

What that should do is tell WordPress's sign-in form to bounce them immediately back to the forum and thru the seamless sign-in endpoint, so it would be no different (experience-wise) than if they'd used a forum sign-in page directly.

• @Linc said:
    What that should do is tell WordPress's sign-in form to bounce them immediately back to the forum and thru the seamless sign-in endpoint, so it would be no different (experience-wise) than if they'd used a forum sign-in page directly.

Thanks for your help Linc!