Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Same Subcategory under two maincategories possible?

Hi,

I´m new here and need some help. It seems the category structure is very strict / linear. I coudn´t find a possibility to show one subcategory under two maincategories.

Main Category 1
-- Offtopic

Main Category 2
-- Offtopic

=> The subboard Offtopic should be the same board or the other way around. I don´t want to create two different Offtopic boards.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your time!

Best,
Speedy

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I don't think so. But you can always create you own view for that.

But isn't Offtopic worth being a main category? To my understanding "offtopic" discussions are something that belong nowhere and therefore it couldn't really be a sub category of any other category.
    Furthermore if I see one subcategory here and one subcategory there, I would always assume they are different. I guess that this is the most common use case for subcategories. It's rarely wise to break common patterns.

• Yes it is strict hierarchy. Tags are generally preferred for non-heriarchical

Your use case doesn’t really make sense to me, why would you want two links to a single category "Offtopic"?

I could understand the use case of possibly wanting a discussion under two categories (although tags are generally preferred)

There is a way of doing it though.

Create two categories Offtopic they will have different urls (slugs), in the one you want to redirect, ensure there are no permissions to post on most roles. Use Vanilla routes to 301 redirect from one category to another.

grep is your friend.

• Thank you very much!