Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Deleting change log?

I accidentally opened up registration and got a food of spam bots for a few days, now my change log is enormous, and mass deleting doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to delete and/or disable that function? It's killing my database...

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Runnning the DB query delete from GDN_Log where Operation = 'Spam' should clear it.

• @Linc That returned 0 rows. When I look in it on the Dashboard, it looks like spam was deleted, but theres still 65k records in there.

Also, it looks like our Activity walls were filled with spam.

How can I delete all of that?

• I got the Logs cleared out, but how do I delete all wall comments? The spam bots got there too.

• In reality I'd just like to reset activity on all accounts to nothing. It's basically a useless feature on my forum and spam is taking up about 30,000 entries in my DB :(

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You might be interested in this discussion: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25755/disable-activity

• Thanks all, I was able to clear all that business from my DB (over 100k records) and my forum is running a lot smoother.

Is there a simple way to remove the activity link from the forum all together?

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited April 2015

You can remove the activity link from the main menu by removing {activity_link} from your theme's /views/default.master.tpl file.

To hide the activity link on the profile menu, add this config line to /conf/config.php:

$Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ShowActivities'] = false;

Also, you can revoke the Garden.Activity.View permission for certain roles in the Dashboard so that users can't view and post on the activities page.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare Awesome, though I did this, and it didn't seem to take. Do I need to delete the contents of the cache folder or restart my server? (can you safely delete the Smarty cache folder?)

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited April 2015

If changes you make to the config.php file directly and to your theme's default.master.tpl file don't take effect after you save them, it's probably because there is some sort of caching on your server.

You don't have to delete the Smarty cache folder, but you can safely delete the .php files inside of the folder /cache/Smarty/compile.

If the changes still don't show up, you might have other PHP caching on your server enabled, such as APC, OpCache, or Memcached (if Vanilla is configured to use it). In that case, you would have to flush or invalidate the files for the caches mentioned.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app