Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Backup utilities?

fienenfienen Pittsburg, KS New

So I'm curious, short of server level utilities like rsync and mysqldump, is there no addon or application that allows app-level backing up of a Vanilla site? I'm thinking something equivalent to a tool like UpDraft Backups for Wordpress that could snapshot the DB, themes, addons, and assets and stick them somewhere like Dropbox or Google Drive. If not (which I'm assuming there isn't), is there a scheme or best practice folks have found particularly effective in maintaining rolling backups of your forums, or are you just doing it the old fashioned way?

Tagged:

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2015

Tail waging the dog.

Wordpress has a lot of tail wagging the dog addons. It is actually a bad idea to even give file management capabilities to web application framework in the first place. Although you can't avoid it easily with wordpress.

At best they are providing a front end to something nothing to do with wordpress. At worst the is a web application moonlighting as server management software, without proper sandboxing.

There are SaaS that provide directory level backups. You have drive security through redundancy such as RAID. You can set up a cron to do daily dumps. Sever level a lot of host provide daily images for recovery.

Web applications are not there to manage your server. panels are an exception, becuase they are heavily sandboxed (although I prefer not to use them).

grep is your friend.