Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mail won't send, "Language string failed to load: tls"

I've recently set up a Vanilla forum (latest stable version running on Apache 2.4/PHP 5.6/MariaDB 5.5/FreeBSD 10.1) and it's not sending mail (using OpenMailBox using TLS. When I use the "Getting Started" page in the dashboard to send a message to myself, for example, I get "Language string failed to load: tls." If I use SSL, I get "SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host." My mail provider does NOT do unsecured SMTP. I can verify that I can reach the SMTP server with telnet.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Try using the hosting mail service without setting the smtp and such , can you send mail?

Check your config.php for these configurations , if you still can't send mail, check with the mail service provider.

SMTP ( SSL / TLS )  PORT 465

$Configuration['Garden']['Email']['UseSmtp']= TRUE;
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpHost'] = 'Your Smtp provider';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpUser'] = 'your user name with smtp provider';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpPassword']= ' your password with smtp provider';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpPort'] ='465';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpSecurity'] = 'ssl';  // ssl/tls

• $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['UseSmtp'] = '1';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpHost'] = 'smtp.openmailbox.org';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpUser'] = '[REDACTED]@openmailbox.org';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpPassword'] = '[REDACTED]';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpPort'] = '465';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Email']['SmtpSecurity'] = 'ssl';

• Also - this is not on a web host, this is on a standalone VPS on Digital Ocean. I don't have a hosted mail server.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@calvinb said:
    Also - this is not on a web host, this is on a standalone VPS on Digital Ocean. I don't have a hosted mail server.

Virtually all servers have a simple program to send mail called sendmail. I believe this is what @vrijvlinder was referring to.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• calvinbcalvinb New
    edited June 2015

Sendmail is the antithesis of simple. I can't really figure sendmail out for the life of me, and so I'd like to avoid it.

• calvinbcalvinb New
    edited June 2015

The good news is that I got it working with sendmail, except not really. I'm using OpenSMTPd (which is far easier) to send mail instead, but it works. I'm going to see if I can send notifications. (I can't send registration mail due to it not letting me pick a group for pending users.)

• calvinbcalvinb New
    edited June 2015

OK, sorry for triple reply, but my mail provider won't let me send a "falsified" noreply@ email, so I'm just editing class.email.php#122 to hardcode the actual email, but that's not seemingly working with sending messages to myself and hoping to receive them. I did get the invite email I sent though.

I've spawned smtpd directly to see output, but I am getting none at all when I sent PMs, to myself and to another account. Hm.....

• @calvinb said:
    OK, sorry for triple reply, but my mail provider won't let me send a "falsified" noreply@ email, so I'm just editing class.email.php#122 to hardcode the actual email, but that's not seemingly working with sending messages to myself and hoping to receive them. I did get the invite email I sent though.

I've spawned smtpd directly to see output, but I am getting none at all when I sent PMs, to myself and to another account. Hm.....

That is completely unnecessary to edit the core. It can all be set up with configuration.

grep is your friend.

• calvinbcalvinb New
    edited June 2015

Good point, I've reverted that, but it's still not sending notification mail. (I do seem to have acquired quite the backlog of invite emails I send out for testing.)