Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla forums SSO doesn 't work with Jsconnect

Hello,

I have imported an old installation of vanilla forum (version 2.0.18b2) in wordpress 4.2.2:
I 've installed a fresh vanilla 2.1.6, copied the directory Themes and Uploads,
and imported the old SQL database changing the config.php data and the path to find correctly the forum images.
I 'm using the WP plugin Vanilla forums 1.1.16.
I've embedded Vanilla forum, (it works) and applied all steps I 've read here for SSO
In Vanilla, I had to use the addon Jsconnect 1.0.3 instead of Jsconnect 1.4.1 because this one, got me regex error.
The embedding works but SSO no:

when I log in the main site and then go to the forum , it doesn 't recognize the user,
and what's worse is that the user cannot log in "manually", it doesn't recognize the site password.

moreover, when a logged user click on the forum page gets the following message:

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct(): Entity: line 1: parser error : Premature end of data in tag img line 1 in
/htdocs/public/www/wp-content/plugins/vanilla-forums/functions.php on line 355 Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct():
ads/2015/03/*********-avatar.jpg" alt="" height="96" width="96" class="avatar"> in /htdocs/public/www/wp-content/plugins/vanilla-forums/functions.php
on line 355 Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct(): ^ in /htdocs/public/www/wp-content/plugins/vanilla-forums/functions.php on line 355

How can i solve this issue?

thank you

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Mark1215 said:
    Hello,

I have imported an old installation of vanilla forum (version 2.0.18b2) in wordpress 4.2.2:
    I 've installed a fresh vanilla 2.1.6, copied the directory Themes and Uploads,
    and imported the old SQL database changing the config.php data and the path to find correctly the forum images.
    I 'm using the WP plugin Vanilla forums 1.1.16.
    I've embedded Vanilla forum, (it works) and applied all steps I 've read here for SSO
    In Vanilla, I had to use the addon Jsconnect 1.0.3 instead of Jsconnect 1.4.1 because this one, got me regex error.
    The embedding works but SSO no:

when I log in the main site and then go to the forum , it doesn 't recognize the user,
    and what's worse is that the user cannot log in "manually", it doesn't recognize the site password.

moreover, when a logged user click on the forum page gets the following message:

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct(): Entity: line 1: parser error : Premature end of data in tag img line 1 in
    /htdocs/public/www/wp-content/plugins/vanilla-forums/functions.php on line 355 Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct():
    ads/2015/03/*********-avatar.jpg" alt="" height="96" width="96" class="avatar"> in /htdocs/public/www/wp-content/plugins/vanilla-forums/functions.php
    on line 355 Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct(): ^ in /htdocs/public/www/wp-content/plugins/vanilla-forums/functions.php on line 355

How can i solve this issue?

thank you

It appears there is some malformed XML input, but I don't know where that leads us.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

for jsConnect I recommend to use this unoffical plugin

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-vanilla-connect/

grep is your friend.

• Options

I wonder why they are using this fudge (their words not mine) just to get the avatar src, jConnect doesn't use xml itself.

why use get_avatarwith SimpleXMLElement when there is a get_avatar_url function?

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@x00 said:
    for jsConnect I recommend to use this unoffical plugin

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-vanilla-connect/

I second this.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Hello,

the SSO seems to work with Vanilla 2.1.6 and WP Vanilla connect 1.1.1, also with Jsconnect 1.4.1.
    After the login in the main site, selecting the forum page, under the Howdy stranger message,
    the name of the user is shown, and a message invite you to sign in the forum.
    After clicking the user il logged in. (Actually the avatar is missing, in its place is the Gravatar icon).
    By the way, how to recover the user site avatar?
    The real problem comes when I import the old .sql. ,Vanilla forum version 2.0.18b2.
    After the login, the forum page shows only the Howdy stranger message, and the user isn 't recognized,
    also If I try a login, in /entry/password.
    Moreover, the Jsconnect connection is missing, and If I try to add again something goes wrong.
    Is there a way to import and old database in Vanilla 2.1.6. without big changes?

Thank you

• Options

Hello again,

I 've partially solved installing before an old 2.0.18b2 Vanilla forum, importing the old database
    and avoiding to import the GDN_user table with old passwords.
    This time, I have to use jsConnect 1.0.3b with WP Vanilla connect 1.1.1.
    The forum recognizes the users registered in the main site, and after clickin their name, they 're logged in
    and added to GDN_user table, that I think it's the right behavior.
    Now I want to update it to Vanilla 2.1.6, I 'm following these steps
    After running /index.php?p=/utility/update successfully, If a registered user in the main site
    clicks on the forum page, he 's recognized, but clicking on its name, the password is required,
    and the main site password isn't accepted, so the users can 't login.
    Someone has an idea of what is wrong?

Thank you