Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

please help my forum cpu usage

I have tried vanilla for 1 month and i enjoy it, but i check in my cpanel CPU usage like this :-1:

How can i fix cpu usage?
thanks

Comments

• Options

First of with cheap web host it is in their interest to throttle CPU, becuase they are very vague on what specs you have. So I wouldn't necessarily trust that data. Unless you have a physical server, all you have is a some vague share of CPU, which may not be constant. You don't have dedicated processor(s).

The want you to upgrade, but rarely have anything worth upgrading to. Nearly always is is better looking elsewhere first or you will get ripped off.

They will use terms like "unlimited", but in reality noting is unlimited.

You have not much memory. It would be useful to use memory caching, however you host may not allow you to install software.

File caching doesn't necessarily help CPU, it does with query caching but make take more than it gives. APC may be useful if available.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    jobbatamjobbatam Batam New

ok @x00 I understand your explanation, but can I reduce the CPU usage? such as cache and other method, and what about apc? first time hear :proud:

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@jobbatam Are you actually experiencing slow downs on your site?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    jobbatam Are you actually experiencing slow downs on your site?

sometimes when i access my forum, i see "we are sorry something wrong" :(

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Sounds like your host can't handle the awesomeness that is Vanilla.

Serious post, Vanilla isn't built purely for speed, but it isn't a resource hog. If my host has trouble running it, I would get a different host. I am not sure what kind of budget you have, but even a $5/month VPS at Digital Ocean is plenty of resources for a Vanilla forum.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight said:
    Sounds like your host can't handle the awesomeness that is Vanilla.

Serious post, Vanilla isn't built purely for speed, but it isn't a resource hog. If my host has trouble running it, I would get a different host. I am not sure what kind of budget you have, but even a $5/month VPS at Digital Ocean is plenty of resources for a Vanilla forum.

I have a budget that is sufficient if five dollars per month for a private server, but this time the problem in Indonesia is still quite expensive private server for a beginner like me. I have consulted to my friend who understand cpanel and he suggested to activate opcache, influential and no problem if I? i am affraid my forum get error.

• Options

I would say apc over opcache. Although opcache is more modern. APC is tried and tested with vanilla. It wil help a little.

You could try the file caching with vanilla, however this may not help your CPU, I/O could be an issue.

grep is your friend.