Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can i add a small description about my forum just below the HOME page TITLE!

Please Help!

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited July 2015

@rahul8040

You are now asking a lot of questions that have answers already provided if you are prepared to search for them.

Please use the forum's search box before asking a question, including what you have tried to do yourself.

You clearly want to make styling adjustments to your forum, so you should learn the basics of how to use a web inspector and CSS to achieve your aims.

• rahul8040rahul8040 New
    edited July 2015

Sorry @whu606 , but i am new here and really dont know much about forums...i did searched a lot on adding a description to below the heading but i really dont know..how to do that! if you please help me in that it would be great. :)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Generally spoken, CSS can change font, color, size - well it can change style. You can use custom CSS most easiest with the CSSEdit plugin.

If you want to add content, than there are two differences: static and dynamic text.

1. If you like to add dynamic text, text that should be different on special conditions, you most probably need a custom plugin.
    2. When you simply want to add a custom line of text, there is no "right" answer.
      2.1 You could create a custom theme and enclose the text in the default master.
      2.2 Maybe you would even need a plugin to add the text where you like.
      2.3 If you are lucky, you could already change the text with a translation!
      2.4 I would shy away from that, but you can also use the CSS content after.

In order to get a helpful answer, you have to learn how to ask a good question ;)

• i have css editor but really dont know what should i add in that i dont know much about CSS and cant find a plugin too for jsut adding a simple text below my title...if you can tell me what file should i access in my vanilla root for editing the header/homepage title file it will be a big help! @R_J

• @rahul8040 css is a skill worth learning. There are many resources on-line.

grep is your friend.

• i know i know @R_j can you simply tell me the location of file where our Homepage title is...rest i'll manage and thanks for such great help! :+1: D

• does your theme have a veiws/default.master.tpl file?

grep is your friend.

• Yes it has that! @x00 but there ar emore than one..can you tel me full directory you are talking about! :pleased:

• in your theme

grep is your friend.

• Oh! Yes i have it! @x00 now?

• I can't teach you html and css, but you can insert a short description under the title.

grep is your friend.

• Yea yea surly you can't i did fixed many other issues just by a hint! so, if you can please tell me where exactly i need to type indefault.master.tpl that will be great rest ill handle and report back! thank you in advance! :pleased:

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Home page title can be entered in the dashboard under the Banner link in the left hand panel.

• Yes i did added the site description but the it doesn't show up! @vrijvlinder

• I don't know what theme you are using, but I'd suggest you first take a look at this discussion

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/30168/edit-powered-by-vanilla-on-the-footer

• kamaleonkamaleon New
    edited July 2015

And before you start doing a lot of modifications, start with the basic things...

Out of the box and with some addons, you can do wonders.

• I gave you a hint, but if you are are going edit a file you need to have some idea what you are doing. If the file is not clear enough to you, learning some basic html and css won't hurt.

grep is your friend.

• i know you told me to edit default.master.phl but the thing i am asking is where exactly i can add my description its as simple as that :anguished:@x00

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Take a look at the Pockets plugin, but be very careful.
    I use it to place some heading and in combination of few css changes (adding display:none) changed the logo and added my own description.
    I am not a programmer and I was able to do it so you may too