Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How can I remove information posted by hacker/scammer.

2»

Comments

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2015

@whu606 said:
    The most likely slang term you would hear a cockney/Londoner use for wife would probably be 'old girl' or 'old lady'.

Cockney is all but dead. There are some phases that are left. Cockneys have pretty migrated to Kent and Essex, and have a different accent no longer true Cockney. Virtually no one within the sound of the Bow Bells is Cockney these days.

Some phases are in common usage.

"Other half" is very common for partner or wife.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2015

I would say Romany /Gypsy phrases have a bigger influence (probably becuase they travelled around the country and further)

Pukka = good
    Karsie = toilet / outhouse
    Chav = Boy / Lout
    Chiv / Shiv = Improvised blade / knife
    Div = Idiot
    Cushy / Cushti = good
    Cosh = blunt weapon

The most famous is Pal which means brother but now mean friend across the English speaking world.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited August 2015

@x00

Working class London English is alive and kicking among my generation (50s+), even it it isn't technically 'Cockney', and it has always incorporated a lot of rhyming slang. Some bloke reckons I ain't a proper cockney? (I'm from West London) Couldn't give a monkeys... 'E's avin a bubble if 'e finks I'm bovvered.(not referring to you!)

The London slang and accents I grew up with appear to be dying out among the younger generation, with the trend now towards 'generic Jamaican' or whatever the term is for 'dat bruv, mandem ting, get me?'

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2015

Rhyming slang works like this:

plugin = mugging (from beating and muggin')

De ting is, Mon, I need a good beating.

my mum was an essex Peregine and my pops was a Jamaican Peregrine.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2015

Having lived in Jamaica the London patios is not nearly as good. Jamaican Patios is not just centred around a particular lifestyle but everyday life, if you go into the country side you are not going to have a conversation with a little old lady about about gats (guns) and rude boys / yardees (ganstas).

The vocab of Ja-fake-ian is quite limited compared to Jamaican Patios.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Ja-fake-ian is also strangely whiny and often high pitched.

grep is your friend.