HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The Hall Of Code Curiosities

13»

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

This thread has been interesting and has led to some genuinely good discussion, your arrival on the scene has kept a few of us coming back to the forum. And you have not been mean-spirited and from the looks of things have provided lots of pull requests, plugins, help, and aided in security issues. this and some of your pranks as well have been quite insightful, informative, and entertaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_(comedy)

if you have the time this article is insight

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yea @mtschirs managed to beat the best prankster we ever had and it took peregrine a bit longer in dog years to do it. Short lived as it was.... Bravo !! you have certainly made us want to participate more often here by pique of our interest in this addictive code...

I was under the impression that he was drowning you in Pulls with fixes @Tim ..... maybe he needs to step it up some..

Release The Kraken !!!!

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Tim said:
    something that many people here have devoted more than half a decade to building.

"In a Nutshell, Vanilla Forums took an estimated 115 years of effort"

:awesome:

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

What a great site, thanks for pointing that out.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

I've signed up as a manager of the project on OpenHub and tweaked quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to their next run to clean things up nicely.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2015

@Tim said:
    IMy objection here simply reveals my sensitivity toward criticism of Vanilla which is the result of seeing it go from a "working alpha" shown to me during my interview to the software that powers gigantic, thriving public communities. The pressures that forged Vanilla are numerous though, and often conflicting, so when only the final product is shown without any of that context, it can easily feel like ridicule and that's what I'm reacting to.

I don't want the result of tens of thousands of man hours to become the butt of jokes, but rather inspire constant improvement to the code we love.

I understand why you would feel that I totally get it, I feel that way too going through review. When it is your baby you can't help but take it personally. Guilty as charged.

I would say through it probably best getting a punch bag, because the feedback you will sometimes be invaluable.

It can be discouraging from the other side, if what you say is taken so personally or maybe not given due consideration. This might be the one piece of critical information that you need to know. If the person feels there is no point broaching it with you it becuase your defences are up, they won't bother.

Take everything in good humour, not personally.

grep is your friend.