Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Users logged out when hitting back in Safari

Hi folks,

On Safari in latest iOS 9 (but not Chrome), pressing the back button while logged into Vanilla logs one out. Pressing reload or navigating from there seems to resurrect the logged-in session.

Any ideas about what's happening here? I'm not seeing this behaviour elsewhere, and it doesn't seem to be happening on this forum.

Cheers,
Michael

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I have seen it happen here... actually on Safari as well ... could be a cache issue..

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

bottom line pressing the back button is not the way to navigate the forum or any dynamic web-site. If the pages were always static it might be reasonable.
    Navigating with the back button pretty much will ensure the info will be incorrect with respect to read messages , notifications, counts, new messages, etc.

move forwards would be the way to educate the users of your forum.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Hmm, not really sure telling users they're using the internet wrong is the solution... sessions on other sites don't seem to be being trashed by the back button. I did pass your advice on to our users, but some are understandably frustrated by that response.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This has to do with how a browser attempts to keep a sane state when navigating through history.

The log in state is based on a cookie. If the cookie doesn't get sent with the request, or didn't exist with the previous request, the user will appear to be logged out. This is because http is a stateless protocol.

Also, get a better browser. ;)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

@MichaelTyson said:
    Hmm, not really sure telling users they're using the internet wrong is the solution... sessions on other sites don't seem to be being trashed by the back button. I did pass your advice on to our users, but some are understandably frustrated by that response.

alot of kids in school don't like getting a failing grade on a test. It's a dilemma telling them that they were doing things wrong. :confused:

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• This is a browser bug.

grep is your friend.

• Actually the weird thing is it does the logout thing on back when moving between two logged-in pages (not going from logged in to the prior login page, for instance). It seems to be just ignoring the cookie when fetching. I agree that it's probably a Safari bug, but it doesn't seem to happen everywhere, which is odd.

• @MichaelTyson said:
    Actually the weird thing is it does the logout thing on back when moving between two logged-in pages (not going from logged in to the prior login page, for instance). It seems to be just ignoring the cookie when fetching. I agree that it's probably a Safari bug, but it doesn't seem to happen everywhere, which is odd.

do you have urls like www. and without? Sometimes the cookie domain is set wrong.

grep is your friend.

• Ah! I think it might be a CloudFlare SSL problem! Just tried it on another Vanilla forum running on plain ol' http, and that's working.