Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Extensions not 'sticking'

dozensdozens New
edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
So I just upgraded to the new 1.0 and installed a bunch of extensions, but I can't get any of them to enable. I click the checkbox, but nothing happens no matter how long I wait, the extension is not applied or activated. All else is fine. Any help?

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    It could be that PHP is failing to save to the conf/extensions.php file. It could be a javascript or ajax problem if you are using an unsupported browser.
  • edited July 2006
    {deleted post]
  • dozensdozens New
    edited July 2006
    I'm using the most current version of Safari (with Saft installed), and don't know jack about PHP. Can you give me some advice as to how to fix it?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    If it's a permissions problem (which I bet it is), then you need to chmod the conf/*.php files to something that allows PHP to edit the files.

How did you set the permissions in the first place when you did the upgrade?
  • I've got a similiar problem, using FF, the conf directory is 777, the files inside are the proper owner and also 777 but they won't save.
  • Sadly - I just tried it in IE and it worked so I think it was a client side problem in FF 1.5.0.4
  • BenBen
    edited July 2006
    I've had problems editing settings.php on my server as well. I got around it by copying the file and saving it as settings2.php or something, deleting settings.php and then renaming my modified version every time I had to edit it by hand. I suppose Vanilla must lock it somehow.

I'll just mention it over here as well.. slightly more on-topic
  • After making my saves I've had to go in and change the file permissions on the files to read only to avoid them being overwritten - which was happening everytime I added a new extension or sometimes when I would click on a link inside the site - I would say possible bug?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    That is some crazy mojo you guys have got going on there.

Another option to try instead of doing chmod on the files is to chown them to the apache user and group - if you know what those are on your server.
  • I'll see if my host will allow it, I see either my user or "nobody".
  • It won't even let me sign in http://www.unrulypolitics.com I click on 'signin' and it just reloads the page!!! I am locked out of my own forum. Thanks guys.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2006
    The application works fine on most servers.

If a server is set up incorrectly, or the application is set up incorrectly, then there is troubleshooting that needs to be done.

There is a polite way to ask for help, and you're failing to do so, bozzy.
  • I said "thanks", how more polite does one need to be? Geez. How come the signin link just refreshes the page.. is people.php messed up?
This discussion has been closed.