Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

lace extension and v1

edited October 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
does anyone know if this extension works properly w/ version 1.0? i don't want to install it just yet before i know it works.... tia

Comments

• It's not a complicated extension but I've not tried it with anything but 0.9.2.6
  • welli guess i will give it a shot... my board isnt live yet anyhow--- i will post my results here.
  • well i installed it and when i try and activate the plug-in i get the following error- Failed to Modify Extension.... thought it was a permission thing but i set everything to 777 on it and still no luck.
  • It must be the way that v1 works with the extensions I know there were changes in that area.
  • edited May 2006
    then there we have it... if i knew php better i would tinker with it, but unfortunatly im not very good w/ it.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Is that "Failed to modify extension" in a popup or something? That typically means that it couldn't save the line in the conf/extensions.php file for one reason or another. When you set the permissions, are you doing it just on the conf folder, or also on the files within? You can try explicitly setting the permission on the conf/extensions.php file...
  • possibly related... with the new version of who's online, i get that popup from the extensions page. i haven't put a lot of time into troubleshooting it, but it actually does enable and disable the extension (read: write/delete the applicable lines) even tho it gives the error. is there a good way to get more info from what the ajax is seeing on that page? like, a debug mode?
  • Mark-

Yes it was the "failed to modify extension" in a popup. hrm i checked the permissions and it seems that they were all set at 644 for the newly created files.. ie conf/extensions.php and I will give it another shot now.
  • hey jared, just out of curiosity, check the contents of conf/extensions.php after you get the popup, or just refresh the extension page and see if it made the changes. the issue i'm looking at right now causes vanilla to give the popup error, but seems to successfully write to the file all the same.

also, once i've enabled whosonline (which is the offending extension in my case, i'm assuming lace would be yours), ALL of the extensions on the page give this error, even tho it still writes to the file just fine.
  • edited May 2006
    hmm- i havnt thought about another active plug-in causing this to occur... i guess i could try and disable whosonline and see if the others work.

hmm maybe i should disable whosonline and see if that is the cause of it.

THAT WAS IT!!!
    It seems that it was WhosOnline breaking the extensions page. Once I removed that It was golden.
  • Just updated the Add-Ons - Lace is now available for 1.0 as well as 0.9.2.6 - just download the ZIP contains both.
  • This looks awesome!
    I'm going to have to try it later tonight.
  • let me know if you hit any problems my v1 install is a bit "strange" at the moment.
  • I have Lace and Vanilla running on win xp IIS5.1 as a localhost test, they are both working fine, however I can't get this lace extension to work have tried using both default.php scripts (not sure which one is the latest vers. both listed as "Version: 1.0" . The extension apperars and is enabled in the admin panel ok, but no link or button appears after log into vanilla as a member. My Lace directory is 3 levels back in the web root and I checked that the php "file_exists" function could detect Lace's config.php file, so not sure what to do next, any ideas?
  • THe first zip removes lace_1 and lace_926 the lace_1 is for Vanilla 1 (I'll have to make that clearer).

Both work basically the same way though by setting the cookie for Lace from Vanilla - so be sure your cookie values in the default.php match those in your Lace config.

// Create chat cookie setcookie("Cmehil_Lace_name", $AccountUser->Name, time()+3600*24*30, "/chat/");

Make sure that line in default.php matches your settings in your "chat/config.php" file.
  • ccmehil,

I'm having the same problem as synfield - it looks like everything is installed correctly, but the sidebar button isn't showing up.

I've downloaded and installed Lace, and everything is running correctly. I have the latest Lace.1 extension, and
    $Context->Dictionary["Chat"] = "Foobar Chat"; $Context->Dictionary["btnChat"] = "Chat Now!";
    has been pasted into conf/languages.php.

Here are my Lace settings in chat/config.php:
    /** The name you'd like to appear in the main header, and anywhere the name of the chatroom is displayed. */ define('LACE_SITE_NAME', 'Foobar Chat'); # URL Settings /** Absolute URL to Lace including trailing slash (e.g. 'http://www.myserver.com/lace/' */ define('LACE_URL_ABS', 'http://www.foobar.com/chat/'); /** Relative URL to Lace including trailing slash (e.g. '/chat/' or simply '/') */ define('LACE_URL_REL', '/chat/'); # Cookie Settings /** Name Lace's session cookie */ define('LACE_SESSION_COOKIE', 'Foobarchat'); /** Name Lace's nickname cookie */ define('LACE_NAME_COOKIE', LACE_SESSION_COOKIE.'_name');

My extension chat cookie is:
    // Create chat cookie setcookie("Foobarchat_name", $AccountUser->Name, time()+3600*24*30, "/chat/");

Any idea what's going wrong? Thanks for your help! :-)
  • edited July 2006
    Hi jkaufman3, everything looks perfectly fine but you sa it's not even showing up in the panel on the side or did I misunderstand you?

Is it looking in the right place for your lace config? I mean if you take out the "if" statement which checks for the lace config does it show up then?
  • I've still got the same problem, as before. I assume that the lace extension is looking for the lace config.php file relative from the extensions default.php file? i.e. I placed the following check into the same folder as the default.php file if(file_exists('../../../ajax_chat/config.php')){ print "../../../ajax_chat/config.php exists! \n"; } This printed the above file path out to the browser so the relative file path is correct. My localhost site has the Lace chat location url http://localhost/ajax_chat/ set-up as follows; # URL Settings /** Absolute URL to Lace including trailing slash (e.g. 'http://www.myserver.com/lace/' */ define('LACE_URL_ABS', 'http://localhost/ajax_chat/'); /** Relative URL to Lace including trailing slash (e.g. '/lace/' or simply '/') */ define('LACE_URL_REL', '/ajax_chat/'); ..... # Cookie Settings /** Name Lace's session cookie */ define('LACE_SESSION_COOKIE', 'mitchat'); /** Name Lace's nickname cookie */ define('LACE_NAME_COOKIE', LACE_SESSION_COOKIE.'_name'); My vanilla folder location is http://localhost/vanilla/ & my extension location is http://localhost/vanilla/extension/lace/default.php ; if(file_exists('../../../ajax_chat/config.php')){ if ($Context->SelfUrl == 'index.php' && $Context->Session->UserID > 0) { $UserManager = $Context->ObjectFactory->NewContextObject($Context, "UserManager"); $AccountUser = $UserManager->GetUserById($Context->Session->UserID); // Create chat cookie setcookie("mitchat_name", $AccountUser->Name, time()+3600*24*30, "/ajax_chat/"); if ($AccountUser) { $Panel->AddString("<h2>".$Context->GetDefinition("Chat")."</h2> <form name=\"frmChat\" method=\"get\" action=\"../../../ajax_chat/config.php\" method=\"POST\"><input type=\"hidden\" name=\"name\" value=\"".$AccountUser->Name."\" /></form> <legend>".$AccountUser->Name.", would you like to <a href=\"#\" onclick=\"frmChat.submit()\">".$Context->GetDefinition("btnChat")."</a></legend>", 100); } } }
  • Hey Synfield Hey jkaufman3,

I've been racking my brains on this one:

if ($AccountUser) { $Panel->AddString("<h2>".$Context->GetDefinition("Chat")."</h2> <form name=\"frmChat\" method=\"get\" action=\"../chat/index.php\" method=\"POST\"><input type=\"hidden\" name=\"name\" value=\"".$AccountUser->Name."\" /></form> <legend>".$AccountUser->Name.", would you like to <a href=\"#\" onclick=\"frmChat.submit()\">".$Context->GetDefinition("btnChat")."</a></legend>", 100); }

It seems the problem is here in this if but why you are not getting the text and link in the panel is beyong me. I've tried this on 3 intalls of Vanilla 1 and it seems to be OK.

What other extensions do you have running maybe there is a conflict?

Even though you both seem to be checking for the relative path to the chat - could you humor me and try "../ajax_chat/config.php" instead of what you have? When it's running as an extension I do believe it's the relative path of the chat compared to vanilla itself.
  • edited July 2006
    ccmehil,

Commenting out the "if" statement did the trick - it's showing up now. Thanks!

Another quick question: it's giving me the following:

Foobar Chat -------------- [USERNAME], would you like to Chat Now

Just text - no button. How do I get the button to show up?

Thanks for the help!

Josh
This discussion has been closed.