Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Invite system

13»

Comments

• Options
    Wow I appologize for even asking. My brain is clearly fried :P
  • Options
    lets build it
  • Options
    yeah, seconded
  • Options
    ADMADM
    edited August 2006
    I want something similar to Gmail where they can't register unless they were invited.. I'd pay for a addon like this. Whisper me if you can.

The details are as follow..

- Unable to register unless invited by someone else on the forums
    - Each member gets X amount of invites (defined in settings). If they want more they can apply for more (it can auto-create a whispered thread to the forum admin with their plead listed).
    - The person who was invited has their inviter listed on their account (eg. Invited by Name).

That's it :)
  • Options
    an invite system would be awesome. though I wouldn't want to limit new members to solely having been invited. Folks who stumble across one's forum deserve to be let in too.
  • Options
    heck, i'd even love an invite tab (across the top) to the right of the DISCUSSIONS, CATEGORIES, SEARCH tabs and members on clicking on the tab, would on the invite page see several boxes down the page, where they could insert their friends email addresses (to be invited). That would be an awesome (and very efficient) way of quickly getting a very large board up and running.
  • Options
    @strawberries -> if you want a tab, grab the page management extension, and then create a tab called invite, install the invite friends extension and use "http://domain.com/vanilla/account.php?PostBackAction=InviteFriends" as the URL.
  • Options
    garvin, thanks for the tip. Sadly, I tried the InviteFrinds extension yesterday, and couldn't get it to appear anywhere on my site. When I used it initilly a few weeks ago, i eventually found it on the Accounts page. But heck, ican't even find it there now. I have set up the tab you mentioend there now, using page mgt extension. I see in setting up a new page, that bottom box allows you to add php (and i think html). Wondering if there is any third party open source *invite* script out there, that i could just paste into that box. There must be a great script out there somewhere in open source land. Anyone?
  • Options
    had no joy so far. and the invite extension thingie will not appear anywhere on my site. permissions all seem fine....no joy.
  • Options
    have you got the page management add-on installed? When I turned that off on my board the invite friends tab showed up. I'm no technical wizard, I just thought I'd share my experience.
  • Options
    That's because you need to resync your tabs in the page manager. It dosn't know an extension has added a new tab unless you tell it to.
  • Options
    thanks steviehype and SirNot for the replies. I actually got the extension to work a couple of weeks ago. I now have it as a tab along the top. I think it is already paying dividends. In fact, I have just had a new registrant in the past hour. And I am pretty sure that he came via the invite system.
This discussion has been closed.