Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla framework for intranet.

edited September 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Just thinking aloud. Maybe nonsense :) I have to build an intranet application and after reading some of the documentation for vanilla it seems that this framework could be used for just about anything (maybe also an intranet?). Would it be difficult or too time consuming to learn how to use the framework for my needs? Is it even suitable for this kind of application? Does someone have some experience in this field? Should the company buy some existing software (is there some good available)?

Comments

• What are the requirements for your intranet then exactly or roughly?
  • For begining only basic stuff like forum, calendar with events and alerts, address book, document library, what's new section, business links, etc.
  • Vanilla is a forum application. Although you can extend it with lots of addons, it's still a forum :) What you are talking about is some kind of Content Management System. There are many CMS-systems out there: phpNuke, Drupal, Joomla, etc. If you don't care about if they're coded pretty or not, I suggest you take a look at one of those :)
  • Depending on the requirement I think Vanilla could be used as a basis, especcialy when the multiple roles add-on is finished. I'm thinking about it too :) Might be a lot of work though :P
  • edited September 2006
    @Jazzman I know it's a forum, but the roots of Vanilla are still in that smart and clean framework that one could use for anything. Right? @elguapo Lot of work. But just to think that you would have clean core and add features without touching the core and adding them with a click is just nuts :) ----- Anyway .. I have already started writing my own app, but would still appreciate feedback on my question. Maybe some other project.
  • I'm writing most of the functionality I need myself, but am always looking for ways to make life easier ;-) At the moment Vanilla does not supply the rights-management I need, but when it is possible to give a user multiple roles most things should be fine. I look forward to see some of your app, or didn't you use Vanilla as core?
  • The kind of application builing that Vanilla uses is still way above me so for the time being I'm sticking with my usual programming methods (smarty, xajax). So I guess there is nothing brilliant to see there :) I haven't writen a line yet anyway :) Designer just finished the layout so I should better go to work :)
  • The thing with Lussumo's Framework is that it's too much integrated with Vanilla or vice versa. And there isn't a seperate "Framework" download. I've tried to strip it, but you'll have to delete theme files, library files, change the application inits and cleaning the settings file is a pain :)
  • No-go than :-) But if there is such framework have no hesitation to tell :) As I work on this project I wan't to make things modular and easy to transfer for another need. I started somethign like this: For every module i have a class (if the module connects to DB i have another class for that module just for that purpose). On the pages I initiate all the classes of modules i want on that page and i call function render in all of them which does all of the calculation. I handle requests so that I put three letter abbreviation of the module before any request variable (get, post) so that every module gets what is intended for it. For now it is going well but I bet I could do lots of improvements. Would you suggest any improvements or do you have some similar method you could share? Thanks.
  • Mark should release the Lussumo Framework as a standalone. The would rock.
  • Just download vanilla and take the framework folder out?
  • Jazzman said:The thing with Lussumo's Framework is that it's too much integrated with Vanilla or vice versa. And there isn't a seperate "Framework" download. I've tried to strip it, but you'll have to delete theme files, library files, change the application inits and cleaning the settings file is a pain :)
This discussion has been closed.