Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking forward to Swell Blog

edited January 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
interested in Swell Blog, any news?

Comments

• I am looking forward to it as well. It would integrate so well with vanilla.
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited January 2007
    I think Mark has made a fairly sizable shift in his thinking on 'blogging' since he started Swell. So it might be a while longer...

I'm actually more interested in how Swell could be using for commercial content management rather than personal use, that's something for another conversation I think though.
  • what do u mean commercial content management ?
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited January 2007
    as in something that i could use on a client's website, that they would then use to manage their content....
  • you crazy 3stripe. you crazy.
  • Swell CMS with integration with Vanilla, that would compete with Drupal and Joomla?
  • That certainly is {not} a crazy proposition :)
  • /me rubs his hands with glee and wishes the weeks and months away until it turns up...
  • edited January 2007
    wont try to be a badass here, but the tire is allready invented.

or i probably miss the point about swell .. what makes it better than other blogs? (or wordpress with its 3543547385474854735845 plugins and variable styles and functions)

enlight me dudes.
  • It will have a less-is-more philosophy at it's core, I'd imagine. Be lightweight, easy to use, and very extensible. So not quite the same as Wordpress...
  • Wordpress is pretty light weight atm. I dont think you could get much more lightweight without removing the admin panel
  • I imagine there's a whole ton of work still to be done on Swell, but trust me when I say it's already looking pretty neat. I've not used wordpress much but swell looks pretty smart :)
  • Some of the newer CMS/blog thingies are cooking up architectures that can integrate plugins from other systems straight-up (for instance, WP plug-ins). That would be wicked slick.
  • Wordpress admin panel looks like a pile-of-pish by default in my opinion. Compared to the Lussumo admin style it's ugly and clunky. russlipton, do you have any examples of these newer CMSs? Hot-swappable plugins sounds like a great concept.
  • I know MODx has publicly declared this as a 1.0 capability (I'm guessing approx. 12 months; no delivery date will be given). They have specifically said WP plugins will be supported. Tellingly, they view their architecture as a CMF (content management framework). I have shrewdly founded suspicions about another CMS, but can't comment as credibly.

Technically, this approach is increasingly feasible, especially within similar languages (PHP) and for new products. I mean, at bottom, it's a matter of providing hooks to WP's open source plugin architecture. Think of this as CMS 2.0 for Web 2.0. It is totally killer. If Mark can do it, it's a no-brainer that he should.

(I agree totally with your comment about WP admin. WP is a great project, but its core has become software-by-committee with all the usual kludginess.)
  • Yup! I wish the WP-Tiger theme for the admin could be simplified and made IE compatible. I only raised this point to clarify my beef with Wordpress in terms of the commercial arena, front-end wise and architecturally it works very nicely. Hooks for WP or other CMSs plugin's for Lussumo sounds interesting. There's so much work that's been done already on WP plugins in particular, that they could really bring newer CMSs up to speed very fast. Not sure how this would sit with the whole Lussumo approach to programming though :)
  • It would sit just fine I'd think. After all, it would just be an extension that enables WP plugins right? ;)
  •  Quote: 3stripe  Yup! I wish the WP-Tiger theme for the admin could be simplified and made IE compatible.
    I collect oxymorons and that's the first for 2007 (simplified & compatible & IE in the same sentence)! pic

Posted: Friday, 5 January 2007 at 9:52AM (AEDT)

• 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited January 2007
    Glad to be of assistance. Have you seen http://www.oxymoronlist.com/ ? I guess what I really meant was that by simplifying the visual appearance they would thus be able to remove some of the css causing IE problems.
  • Yes I've seen that list but the oxymorons I collect must occur naturally in speech or writings.
    No matter what you meant, if the CSS in question is valid it should work in any browser no matter how complex it is.
    Also, anything tweaked from a standard to make it compatible with anything is an oxymoron in itself. pic

Posted: Friday, 5 January 2007 at 10:10AM (AEDT)

This discussion has been closed.