Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Error page error

TexTex
edited June 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
When an error occurs after starting a discussion or adding a comment, like no discussion title or comment too long, the error page is not displayed. The member gets directed to 'http://mydomain.com/discussion//'. My Vanilla is placed in a subfolder but accessible through the domain directly. I guess it has something to do with that? How could I alter the settings or the .htaccess to display the error page?

Comments

• No idea where the problem might come from?
  • I'm a bit confused how you have your forum set up...? In a subfolder but accessible directly? How?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Also, do you have friendly urls turned on?
  • @ Minisweeper:
    The domain is routed to this folder by my host.

@ Mark:
    Yes, I do.
  • Oh right I see...so the mydomain.com - is that the domain your forum is normally on? And that's how you'd normally access it? Or is that the main domain where you could also access the forum through the folder? I hope that makes some kind of sense..
  • ...so the mydomain.com - is that the domain your forum is normally on?

Exactly.
  • So right. Having cleared that up, what's actually the problem? Can you not browse the forum through mydomain.com/discussion//?
  • Instead of an error page being displayed, the user gets redirected to 'http://mydomain.com/discussion//'. This results in a '404 Error' due to the double slash at the end. I would like to display the usual vanilla error.
  • I see. Now in understand. That's not because of the double slash (as such), more because theres no discussion ID between the slashes. You'll note you can browse mydomain.com/discussions// perfectly well because it's not expecting another parameter. In actual fact what should be happening in your case is that you should be left on the mydomain.com/post/ page. Now comes the mystery of why that isnt happening...any ideas guys?
  • You're right, the mydomain.com/discussions// is perfectly well. Thank you for pointing that out. If the problem is not to be solved, I'll open up a new account for my board. Costs a little, but prevents such problems among some others that come with domain routing. A solution would be nice anyway.
  • Oh aye it should certainly work...but the 'root cause' is a little different to what i originally expected. Good job I spent 20 hours of my life doing a helpdesk analyst cause huh? Now i just need to do the 'actually get round to fixing peoples problems' course :)
  • I've come across this error as well when I've forgotten to put a discussion title as well. What's even worse though, is that when I hit my back button it won't have saved any text from the comment area.
  • What's even worse though, is that when I hit my back button it won't have saved any text from the comment area.
    The same with me. So, do you have friendly urls turned on?
  • Tex, yes.

Also, I don't get a problem with other forums with the content from the text area disappearing when there's a problem posting. All that usually happens is I hit my back button and submit again.
  • I even get this problem with a Vanilla located in the root folder. Friendly URLs are turned on. Any ideas so far?
This discussion has been closed.