Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

biggest vanilla install?

2»

Comments

• @ithcy Very impressive! Thanks your your message on my board.
  • 60,000 plus comments 3,000 plus discussions... doing fine. =)
  • itchy - jonezy was an active member on tw, not like the bastard ever went there, or anything, but you can let him into the new one.

and, really, that much jibber jabber (almost half a million posts) in about 13-14 months by a heavily active user base of, say, 50 people and then a further 80, or so less frequent users who weren't banned is something of a marvel.
  • denied, you ignorant slut. :)

Hmm. If someone gives me a dataset, I'll hook the thing up to DTrace on Solaris and tell you exactly where the thing is spending its time, whether it be in PHP functions, MySQL, or something else.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    That would be swell - would the data from this community site be enough, or would you really need a big hunk of data like ithcy's dealing with to get some good results?
  • edited August 2005

Another good way to index your tables when you have an existing system like this is to turn on query logging, let it run for awhile, then look at the most frequent queries. Now place indexes on the columns you search on (where w=x and y=z). If you do a lot of searching on tables that become large, this can help tremendously.

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited August 2005
    Just talked to franklinmint, and he's going on holidays for the next five days - back next Monday. So, unless anyone else wants to do some DTrace-ing... we'll have to wait and see on this one. Interestingly enough, I just got an email from a guy using Vanilla who says that when there are >= 50 ppl using his installation of Vanilla, he see's his apache usage go up 10 - 15% and it's slowing everything else down. I haven't been witness to anything like that at all - anyone else?
  • apache 1.x or 2.x? if it's 2.x, there's a whole shitload of weirdness under that version.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    dunno - I pointed him in the direction of this thread. Hopefully he checks it out...
  • Way too many variables to even speculate why this would be happening on a particular install.

• ya i actually talked to the guy and told him to email mark... he mentioned there was a torrent trakcer on the machine and it didn't really sound like he had too much first hand knowledge of what was going on
  • well, I'm simply speculating, but everyone I know who's run apache 2.x has complained for one reason or another about either instability or slowness. Although this is only a handful out of the possible thousands.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    My server runs apache2
2»
This discussion has been closed.