Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User based private discussions

edited September 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I had a question about whether this functionality exists (or whether there is a plugin for it): Is there a way to have a user start his/her own private thread and only that user (as well as the admins) is able to view that thread? Basically I want to create a private counseling system using the forums. So anyone can start a new discussion and only they (and their counselor) are able to read the contents of that discussion? If that's not possible in vanilla, do any of you guys have a suggestion on how I can go about building such a counseling system? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• You could try something like http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=144 then allow admins to see all whispers...
  • I would like to be able to have it work for all users, not just admins.
  • What? Everyone can start a discussion and the admins can see them all..
  • KingoKingo New
    edited September 2008
    Sorry, I'm posting in the wrong thread because I'm awesome.
  • I think it is possible, if you use the addon that was mentioned above, try this setup. don't set this up in a life site yet.

But install vanilla -> enable whispers -> install the above addon and enable it -> assign permissions to the roles you want to always make their discussion private.

So as i see this this is how it will work.

A person who has the forced whisper discussion permission will start a discussion where they can either make it public or private.
    So if private. only the discussion or comment is visible to the recipient and owner.

However with the addon, admins can be allowed to view all whispered discussions. Hence... you have a private discussion system?

The other crazy way would be to modify the vanilla framework which is not recommended.
This discussion has been closed.