Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Private Messages 1.1

Comments

• Is there any fix for this? please reply if any one has found a fix.
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    I'd say private messaging is an important feature to have in any forum installation so that users can connect with each other on a more personal level.
  • no updates from Jazzman. Looks like he stopped it.
  • Its on vanilla-friends. It just need someone to take care of it: http://code.google.com/p/vanilla-friends/source/browse/trunk/PrivateMessages
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Hey Dinoboff, what type of coding knowledge does this require...php?
  • Basic knowledge of subversion, php, html and css; you should at least be able to understand and apply solutions that other users will give here. If you can fix it, it is even better of course.
  • Way back when I did a biggish rewrite to get it working as expected. I haven't upgraded to the latest Vanilla yet, but once I do, I can definitely help troubleshoot.
  • edited October 2008
    here is the temp hack that allow addon to work in latest vanilla. @line 463

update [library/vanilla/ Vanilla.Class.DiscussionManager.php ]

if ($this->Context->Database->RowCount($CategoryAllowed) < 1 ) {
    $Discussion->CategoryID = 0;
    }

to

if (($this->Context->Database->RowCount($CategoryAllowed) < 1 ) && ($Discussion->CategoryID <> $this->Context->Configuration['PRIVATE_MESSAGES_CATEGORY_ID'])) {
    $Discussion->CategoryID = 0;
    }

if you are using Friendly URL addon add this line in [.htaccess]

#PrivateMessages
    RewriteRule ^extension/([0-9]+)/(.*)$ extension.php?$2&DiscussionID=$1 [QSA,L]
  • edited October 2008
    I just install private messages and it's working with 1.1.5a.

The bug must be the result of a patch.
  • edited October 2008
    I starting to list all the bug there: http://code.google.com/p/vanilla-friends/issues/list?q=ext:Private_Messages&updated=7&ts=1223808049&can=1
  • edited October 2008
    Is it normal if the messages appear as well on the discussion page. Shouldn't the category used for private message be blocked or something?

So the extension requires that the discussion category being disable for any role and Vanilla 1.1.5 check that you have the permission to post to that category.

Either the extension need an other way to hide the Private Messages category (will be a pain) or it need to hack the Category manager restriction.
  • edited October 2008
    One solution would be to not use discussion and comments for Private messages; or to still use the discussion and comment tables but not the DiscussionManager.
  • Which version of Private Messages are you working with Dinoboff?
  • edited November 2008
    1.1; all the links for a modified one are broken.
  • edited October 2008
    That hack works for pm's! Do you think there will ever be an option about an instant notification when receiving a new pm? (not email) The only thing, though, is that even when there are messages in the inbox it says NO PRIVATE MESSAGES FOUND
  • I'm using whatever is here http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=220. I couldn't find modified version(s) posted in discussion.

I believe, the addon needs to be rewritten and avoid using comment/discussion/category. separate table might be an easy solution. I do not like hacking core vanilla and I'm not sure how to over ride something within mod.
  • has anybody got the version from bshultz with the .notify div above the discussions?

i really need it and all download links are expired :(
  • anyone? :( i really NEED it :(
  • @rikin Thanks for the update for the PM function. It is very helpful!
  • Can somebody fix this or should I just do without the app. It's a shame though, cause this app those a lot for vanilla.