Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Any chances of a facebook app?

AviAvi
edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is anyone developing a facebook app? One that allows users to register using their facebook account? Other fun ideas?

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    This is a great idea. Any takers?
  • i'm not a developer and don't have much time to learn. I do know there are numerous opensource extensions out there for systems like Joomla that allow this. Perhaps glancing at their code (which is opensource) will give a vanilla developer some ideas?

Facebook offers their code for developers wishing to make a facebook app, I think they charge close to 400USD if you want to publish your app in their directory, closer to 200USD if you're a student. I looked in to it a bit ago, I don't know if this information is up to date.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I think our first priority would be to implement facebook connect for logins. Then we will be posting to facebook's activity stream from Vanilla. If we do this then Vanilla will act a little like a facebook group (but better).

I think this is what you are asking for. Am I right?
    Moved to Vanilla 2.
  • Yes, that is basically it.
  • @Todd = so there is going to be a plugin for Facebook Connect in Vanilla 2? Awesome! It would be nice if the implementation was generic enough to allow for different implementations like Google's Friend Connect, Open ID Providers or with the website which is hosting the forum.
  • facebook connect all day long,love the idea
  • And Twitter OAuth as well please :)
  • I totally support this idea!
    @ntulip. The interface is generic.Other authentication schemes are just as important to us. I guess the generic idea is to use the api to authenticate a user and synchronize their user info in Vanilla each time they sign into the app.

Facebook has the other feature to accept notifications which is another interface.
    What authentications are top priorities with you guys?
  • edited September 2009
    In order of priority, for me:

1. OpenID

2. Facebook Connect

3. Google Account, Yahoo! Account, Windows Live ID

4. Twitter, Flickr, MySpaceID, Blogger
    1. Google Account
    2. OpenID
    3. Twitter OAuth
    4. and something that I've seen popping up more and more often is http://disqus.com/
    • test UL
    <ol> <li>Google Account</li> <li>OpenID</li> <li>Twitter OAuth</li> <li>and something that I've seen popping up more and more often is http://disqus.com/</li> </ol> <ul><li>test UL</li></ul>

Sorry, but the UL and OL tags *really* should show up as HTML intended them to - ordered and unordered lists with numbers/letters and/or bullets - this is a bug that should be fixed before release.
  • 1. Facebook Connect
    2. OpenID
    3. Google Account, Yahoo! Account, Windows Live ID
    4. Twitter, Flickr, MySpaceID, Blogger
  • edited October 2009
    I'm almost done with a FB/Twitter/Google authentication extension based somewhat on the previously existing google extension. I'll post relevant info in another discussion for feedback.
  • Google provides openId for their accounts. I think yahoo does too, but I'm not sure.
  • 1.) LDAP

2.) Google Account
  • Hi all
    @soychicka any news on your addon? :)
  • Admin email alerts when someone signs-up at your site would be a good idea first...