Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Active ? Anyone

kaoskaos New
edited October 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is anyone active like mark and member's can you add an online list as i see there is a plugin for it as it help's when seeing how many people are online :)

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'm personally not a fan of "who's online" plugins as they can actually be detrimental to the health of a community.
  • Ah ok cool
  • @Mark I won't take offense. :)
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Mark could you elaborate? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that one.
  • @Mark I agree that with inactive communities they can be harmful, but in active communities it can be fun
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @Lincoln - Subjunk got what I was hinting at. It all comes down to appearances. A forum might not have more than 1 person on it at a time, but that doesn't mean it's not a popular forum - A who's online plugin might make new people think that a forum like that isn't worth participating in since "there's no-one around right now".

At the opposing end of things, there are forums that have 50+ people on at a time, and who's online _can_ be fun on those - but if you've got that many active users, I always find it's just more fun to be jumping from discussion to discussion playing constant catch up with all of the conversations. Personal preference is all.
  • @Mark - Playing catch-up is really fun. Sometimes I spend wayyy more time doing that than I should.