Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

A few things I have noticed

edited December 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I will get straight to the point, I've been playing around with Vanilla so I will have a feel for the software once it's stable. I plan to use it on one of the new sites I am working on. So here is what I have seen:

www.example.com/forum --- that doesn't work, I get a 404 not found error when I try the url.
www.example.com/forum/index.php/ --- if I have that url changed at all, it won't take my to my homepage. I would like to just be able to access my site from the first of the two choices.

Second, it's not much of a bug or anything, but it can be confusing. I know logins work with both email and username, so why not say "Email or Username" on the login page instead of "Email" Just a thought.

Also, I noticed on this board that when I view someones profile, I can see a remove picture link, but I can't actually do anything with that link it basically just reloads the profile page. Not sure what it's for, it seems to be something that you should only be able to see viewing your own profile.

Last but not least, I've noticed the count is wrong on my categories sidebar. I have deleted all my discussions, but it still shows that there are two total.

Other than that, I am completely impressed with Garden/Vanilla. Thank you

Comments

• Also, I've notice you can't delete accounts. Or at least I don't think you can. Which kind of stinks, because I made a couple test accounts to see how everything worked.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2009
    Hey Matthew, glad to have you here.

1) the index.php issue: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/9989/404-file-not-found-on-the-index-page

2) The preferred login method is email; it still allows username since they're still unique in a basic install, but that could change.

3 & 4) I believe these were resolved in recent patches. Do you have the latest version off of GitHub?

Not sure what the plans are re: deleting accounts (I haven't looked myself). It's possible that it's not planned as a core feature but making an addon for that would probably be pretty easy.

Let us know if you come across anything else or have more ideas. :)
  • I will get the new verison up and see if I can find any more of there errors, or anything else that might need to be fixed.

Also, with the deleting of accounts, I feel that should be standard, because I want to be able to delete accounts without having to worry about another plugin. I can ban members, but I can't actually delete them, and that is some what annoying.

I will also check out the index.php issude. Thank you for your response.
  • I reuploaded my development site a couple of hours ago, but didn't have time to see if the bugs were fixed, but I have now, and I have found out, the post count still isn't correct in the categories sidebar.