Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Extended How-to install Vanilla 2

Comments

• @ctwkkk
    Maybe you double mistyped your password, so please re-install :). Otherwise add this to your conf/config.php file and post the problem/results in a new thread:
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php';
  • Hello, my first post :)

At the step 6, I can see this :
    "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /homez.338/website/www/forum2/index.php on line 30"

The 30th line is
    Gdn::Session()->Start(Gdn::Authenticator());
    and I didn't altered it.

Another question : This forum is on Vanilla 2 ?
    I have just installed Vanilla 1.1.10, works great but don't have the slide menu at the right, and other things, as here we are. Normal ?
  • This forum is powered by Vanilla 2. Try posting your installation issue in a seperate discussion (with a descriptive title).
  • @Silencer

Thank you for answering. I will copy the code then.
  • All I end up with is this:

Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in /home/dan/public_html/lussumo-Garden-634f9d6/conf/config-defaults.php on line 16

Any help?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    As stated in v2 requirements, it does need PDO installed.
    It's even mentionned a few comments above.

Maybe it will be a good idea to add a link to the requirements (or copy them) on the comment that started this discussion.
  • Just a note of other newbies like me. Make sure your rewrite rules are enable in you virtual hosts file by checking the "AllowOverride". By default this is often set to "AllowOverride None" in the section. Changing this to "AllowOverride All" will solve the problem.

There may be a more granular way to solve this as well.
  • Hey guys, regarding 4), when I did a new install on my server with the latest garden, I didn't have to change any permissions at all... I'm guessing that this may be because my server is set up correctly that I don't need to change the permissions? It would make sense, because it was with my localhost that I need to edit folder permissions when I first wrote the guide.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @iamkeir That would be a good assumption, I think. If your server is well-configured, you should be able to skip step 4 completely.
  • Doesn't work for me. I've done a couple of reinstalls. I just get a nice-looking page with links that do nothing.
    I'd be interested in knowing what the "issues" are. It looks like my install works fine, but I get an unusable forum.
  • In an addendum, I wrote up a github report on this:
    http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/#issue/302
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @MagShare I'm working on this. Could you help me by confirming that you're running PHP in FastCGI mode?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• I'll check.

I know that Nexcess is switching their servers over to FastCGI, but I don't know if my server is one of them.

I'll respond with a post in just a bit...
  • The verdict is in:

No, FastCGI is not enabled on that host. I didn't think it was, but I don't have any software that cares about the difference.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I recently modified the Request object in the RC branch to make it a little smarter. Care to give the new version a try? So far I have the same code working on:

1) my local Apache + libphp5 stack
    2) my local nginx + fastcgi stack
    3) my local Apache + fastcgi stack
    4) my Site5.com VPS
    5) my MediaTemple VPS

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• I will do so.

Thanks!
  • No dice. However, I'm not sure I got the correct version. I took it straight from the trunk. I didn't see any new commits there.
  • OK, this may have something to do with it. I am getting endline differences between the two installs.
  • No matter what I do, it keeps coming up snake-eyes. I have a feeling that it is an endline issue. I'll see if I can do anything on the server end to play nicer with funky endlines.
    Since the vast majority of folks don't seem to be experiencing the issue, I'll step aside. It's a shame, as I really like what I see here, but I can't get it to work on my server, no matter what. I know that my server is solid, but it may be non-standard.
    If this does become an issue in the future, I am more than happy to let ya'll have a temporary account on the server to play with.