Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Recommended setup for Rackspace Cloud Servers

edited April 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Dear Vanilla team,
I attempted to install Vanilla 2 on a Rackspace Cloud Site (that's Site, not Server) and discovered it isn't possible because Clouse Sites don't support MySQL full text indexes. My next option is to run up a Cloud Server. Given that this is the same platform you guys use for the hosted Vanilla forums at Vanilla.com, I was wondering whether you could recommend an OS config (server image) that you've found works best with Vanilla 2?

RS offers a bewildering assortment (Ubuntu, Debian, Centos, Fedora, Red Hat etc.) - thought I'd check whether you had a preference.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Ubuntu i use at home :D thats really good
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I think it's all about personal choice and "what you're used to". We use chose Ubuntu because it has a pretty good support community, and we are big fans of apt-get.

I actually didn't know that cloud sites doesn't support fulltext indexing. That's total bs if you ask me. Makes me think we should consider having a non-fulltext version of search that just does straight LIKE comparisons for smaller forums. @Todd - what do you think?
  • Options
    Thanks Mark. I'll give it a try with Ubuntu.

The error I received installing V2 on my Cloud Site is in this discussion with Rackspace's response:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/10882/fatal-error-in-gdn_database.query/