Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[New Plugin] Graphical Emoticons

oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010Switzerland ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
[UPDATE]
Plugin released
(does NOT do any database interaction ;-)

---
I am currently working (pre-final state) on a Plugin to enable Emoticons in Vanilla 2. Basically it will hack into the $Comment String and replace a bunch of text emoticons with an img-tag.

One question to the community at this point:
  1. Would you prefer that the Emoticon Code/Image-matches are stored in a database table?

2. ...or should this be hardcoded into the Plugin-Code, in order not to go too deep into your Vanilla-installation?
I am writing the Plugin for Vanilla 2 RC1.

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2010
    Hi!

You could always store them in files / folders with naming that correlates to the emoticon code.

Of you could store it in the config in an array:

array (
    'emoticon_code' => 'image name',
    )

What do you think?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    @Tim Thanks for your feedback.
    I decided for the first version to hardcode everything into the plugin (using an array just like your 2nd proposal).
  • I'd definitely prefer that something like this kept out of the database. Looking forward to seeing your first release!
    edited June 2010
    It's here!!

Enjoy :-)
  • out of the DB, definitely
  • lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    mate, appreciate, cool stuff, but could you please do not include "_MacOS" folder in every zip file you upload, please? i needed to manually delete them all
    i do realize its for macos permissions (we have the same in BeOS), but its annoying, when unzipping files on the host.
    cheers
    Thanks for pointing this out, @lukoie. I re-uploaded a "clean" archive.