Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2 Installation headaches

BarksBarks New
edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I am very very keen to get Vanilla installed and moving along as it looks like great software. I am having trouble but.

After uploading the folder onto my server I go to access it through a web browser and get the 404 file cannot be found message.

If anyone can help me fix this or give me a simple installation guide it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Is it Vanilla's 'pretty' 404 page or the web server's 404 page?

What operating system?
    What web server?
    What version of PHP?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Its the web servers one, so its going to a 404 which looks like my other web pages

operating system is linux according to cPanel X
    MySQL version 5.0.90
    PHP version - 5.2.4

I am essentially looking to use Vanilla 2 because I like the layout and its clarity as I am using it with a group of people with lower end computing skills. Is there a Vanilla 1 theme which replicates Vanilla 2? I could get Vanilla 1 installed no dramas

Thanks mate
  • Options
    Sorry mate but I have had another go this morning and it is now giving me a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error

Thoughts with this? or go back to Vanilla 1 and wait for a stable 2?
  • Options
    Are you using Vanilla_RC1? There were some very interesting issues with that release and we've learned a ton from the testing you guys have done and thus most of those problems have been solved in the current bleeding edge RC branch.

I'd suggest giving that a try and see how you fare.
    Available here: http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/zipball/rc

• Options
    BarksBarks New
    edited June 2010
    ahhk I will try using that, and let you know how it goes
  • Options
    still no good mate getting the 404
    have a look on http://newcastleslsc.com.au/vanilla/

is there a particular file i should be directing my browser to?

oh just wondering to is there a feature in Vanilla 2 that does what the notifi plugin did for vanilla 1?
  • Options
    If that is indeed the right vanilla folder, then I think you'll find the problem is with your existing .htaccess file. I noticed your site uses 'search engine friendly' URLs, and I think that could be what is preventing you from hitting the real vanilla folder when you go to that address.

I'm not sure how technical you are, but you could try putting in an exception (in the form of a RewriteCond) to that htaccess rule for request to that folder, and then see how it goes...

• Options
    ahhk, nah im not that technical...yet hahaha
    thanks for your help mate, I might just keep running with Vanilla 1 and wait for a stable two release.

Next task.....integrate it with my wordpress users. If you have any tips let me know haha

cheers
  • Options
    Single sign-on, coming soon to a vanillaforums.com near you ;)