Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Need help installing Vanilla2rc2 - database error unknown system variable 'names'

phdphd
edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello,

I am a newbie, so I am probably making an obvious mistake... I am unable to install Vanilla2 rc2. I got a "An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database|Gdn_Database|Connection|SQLSTATE[00000] [1193] Unknown system variable 'names'" error in the installer, and was unable to solve it. I found no post about that here, so I am utterly lost. Any help will be warmly welcomed.

I checked permissions, I erased and re-uploaded all files, to no avail.

(While testing, I installed Vanilla (Vanilla 1) without problem, so I have a working forum for the time being.)

TIA

Comments

• Can't anybody help me ?

I found nothing about this on github issues. Requirements are met as far as I can tell... that is: not very far, but I suppose that Vanilla would complain more loudly if something was missing (total garbage, function unknown, ...). I have no idea of what to check next.
  • you need to delete all gdn_ tables in your DB via phpmyadmin, and reinstall
  • No luck, no gdn_ tables was ever created, fails even with a completely empty database. Thanks anyway.
  • lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    do you have MYSQL database?
    did you entered correct DB host, DB name, username and password while installing Vanilla2?
  • phdphd
    edited June 2010
    I guess so. The same settings work perfectly well with phpBB (deleted), punBB (removed), Vanilla 1 (kept, yeah).

I fear my host (OVH) might not perfectly meet Vanilla's requirement, but the only way I know to check that is their documentation and reports, which aren't sufficiently detailed. No word about the web server exact version (nor even software - I guess it's Apache because .htaccess works correctly), nor on the exact php modules available. I just hope Vanilla's installation script would give me an useful error message if some requirement wasn't met... Right ?

Thanks for your time :)

• yes, it would
    just read carefully forum posts in the vanilla2 category regarding installation, in the part where it says about error handling
    you need to uncomment this line
    $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

look at this sample url at ovh: http://1000gp.ovh.net/test.php5
    what you need is to create the sample.php file with the content:
    <?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>
    and open it in your browser
  • lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    actually, you can do it more easily
    google for phpfm (php file manager) script (its the best one. one file, fast and pretty)
    here's a screenshot: http://img329.imageshack.us/i/ss0920sh.gif/
    the second button on top there is yours ; )
  • Excellent, I'll try that as soon as I can find some time.

About the line to uncomment, I guess you mean the /conf/config-defaults.php line 48 with deverror.master.php (instead of error.master.php). I read about that, but that line was already uncommented in the files (rc2) I downloaded from github. I guess I already get the verbose error.

I'll try phpfm in the next days and report back what I find.

Many thanks for your help.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2010
    Hi @phd!

Are you running MySQL 5? This is a common error that happens when the software is run against a MySQL 4 database server.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Thank you Tim, you found it. Too bad the only thing I can do about that is changing host or, maybe, upgrading my hosting plan :(

Sorry about that, I really thought I had checked that, but it turns out that I mistook phpmyadmin's version number with mysql's :/

Thanks all for your time, my apologies for wasting it as I should have known better.

Sincerely,

phd.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @phd

No worries, it was my pleasure. Sorry to hear that your host is still using MySQL4! Have you looked into hosting your forum with us, at http://www.vanillaforums.com? Something to think about :)

Regards,
    Tim

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Ok, it *IS* solved. My host offered the possibility to upgrade mysql very easily, free. It seems to work, I am glad :D

Regarding vanillaforums.com, that's the first thing I looked up. But the free option is advertisement supported, which I do not want, and the first pricing plan ($19/month) is too expensive for what I want to invest for a forum for me and a few friends (and say no words about add-ons).

Sincerely, I'd prefer a pricing that depends on traffic and disk space, not on features (except domain, maybe. Don't see what it costs the host to allow a custom logo btw), with less steep price jumps.

Thanks again. This is a friendly community.