HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

localization team

lukoielukoie New
edited June 2010 in Localization
maybe we should create localization team?
we can have discussion or even mail-list to coordinate our work for future translators, and to manage it to be convenient and userfriendly for both translators and endusers?
i can invest some time for that
Tagged:

Comments

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    I would also appreciate if there would be a convenient and shared pool to exchange translations or to work on it.
  • why not using gettext .po and .mo files instead of this locale.php?

for example, at the moment i dont have any idea how to get two localizations per site, and switch between them. i dont see such an option on the admin page
    and still i do not know how to localize admin page.

i think it would be nice first to create a forum category "localization" here. then i can start a few discussions, and propose my view about localization team and how it all can work.
    anyone from the project team can make it happen?
  • oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    why not using gettext .po and .mo files
    Oh gosh, please no. I think it's fine when everything is in the PHP files, because they are easy to edit.

I like the approach regarding localization that Garden is going. It's somewhat similiar to how Akelos has implemented localizations (though in that PHP framework it's already in a usable state... unlike in Vanilla). The solution with language folders (en-CA, de-DE, etc.) and locales is ok - they should just be considered on an application basis (separate locale for dashboard, conversations, vanilla, etc.).
  • WP uses gettext, and localization of the files is a breeze!
    and its a way more simple then the current localization schema here at the moment.
  • gettext is amazing, I would say. I'm from South India, we speak Telugu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telugu_language). We want to translate web to our language. So we are going to establish an translate server at l10n.teluguthesis.org (its currently being tested at http://l10n.vimal.me) in couple of days and we would love to translate Vanilla as well. Any suggestions? We probably will add the Vanilla's source directly to our sever, to translate.
  • lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    @vimal, yeah, i like gettext too! pretty simple to make translations, and .mo files are small and faster then .php strings.
    well, when i started to translate my forum into russian, i've just copied german translation from the "addons" part of the site, and translated every string, and visually checked the site if it fits ok, and words are ok in terms of the endings.
    i think you could do the same for the time being
    i'm willing to start some localization team here, but no luck at the moment - seems there's no one from the vanilla team reading this forum.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We're not currently entertaining thoughts about changing the way we handle localization, but the entire feature has taken a slightly lower priority than getting Vanilla 2 stable and released. Once we've reached that landmark, things like this will get the attention they deserve.

Rest assured that localization wouldn't be in the core unless we were committed to getting it working in a simple and functional way.

I've created the Localization category for the time being, feel free to discuss and get organized.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• it wold be nice if you consider using gettext, it wold be much easier to edit strings by end users
    thanx for the category
    i will describe all my struggles in the separate discussion.
  • @Tim
    any ideas when you're gonna reach that milestone(stable release)?
  • I am ready to do that. I am from Andhra pradesh same where @vimal came from .I can work for Hindi and telugu .
  • @Tim said:
    We're not currently entertaining thoughts about changing the way we handle localization, but the entire feature has taken a slightly lower priority than getting Vanilla 2 stable and released. Once we've reached that landmark, things like this will get the attention they deserve.
    Rest assured that localization wouldn't be in the core unless we were committed to getting it working in a simple and functional way.
    I've created the Localization category for the time being, feel free to discuss and get organized.

Hi Tim!
    Vanilla 2 is stable. It's time to do its localization. What do you think?

• @Almaz‌

Localization is already well covered in the addon section:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/locales/recent/2/

And team are managed on Transifex

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/vanilla/

You just have to ask to join a language.

grep is your friend.