Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

rss in the theme?

lukoielukoie New
edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
is there any way i can add custom rss feed in my theme file, so i can get the latest posts titles from my WP blog in my Vanilla2 RC2 forum sidebar?

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    This would be a pretty sweet plugin, or maybe something that you could do with Javascript, but currently there is no built-in way to achieve what you're asking.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    @lukoie Why not just include f.eg. Last RSS in your theme's directory and code it into your theme?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    thanx oliver
    i need to post the last articles titles in the sidebar(and/or footer), so forum visitors cant ignore blog content activity
    i will look at the links you've provided, thanx
  • Options
    well, no luck
    i've tried to incapsulate it into header, but it only shows a mess of the code
    @oliverraduner, can you please modify your plugin to be able to add rss stream on the sidebar or/and footer?
  • Options
    @lukoie It IS supposed to show the feed in a sidebar panel. But only on the Activities page!

Can you show me a Screenshot? Did you modify the Code, because you talked about "encapsuled into the Header"...
  • Options
    sorr, my mistake, not a header, but a footer
    i've added the code into footer file, but it only shows the code itself, no rss output
    i have no "activities" page on my forum, just the forum threads itself
  • Options
    ?

You cannot add the Code just to some page?! You only need to put the Plugin folder into /plugins/ and the go to your Dashboard and enable the Plugin.

In your case, you may want to comment-out the line just below:
    // Show RSS Feed only on the Activities Page
    //here's the old Code line.
  • Options
    lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    @oliverraduner
    no no no, oliver
    i meant i've tried to use mentioned script, not your plugin
    you plugin works just fine when i uncommented that string, cheers!

just a few requests
    1 - you need to make your php file utf8, because at the moment it is in ascii, so non-ascii symbols doesnt show up. (i have a massive hadache with whoisonline plugin right now dealing with tha same problem)
    2 - and could you please hide the rss from the adminpage - i think no need to show it there.
    3 - it seems that "$Rss->items_limit = 5; "
    doesnt work
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah I see @lukoie ;-) Well, can't help you with integrating LastRSS directly into the theme - but I assume you use wrong HTML-styling so it is not being displayed as you want it.

However, thanks for your requests! Here's my feedback to it:
    1 - you need to make your php file utf8
    I cannot reproduce this problem. The file itself is UTF8 encoded (at least on my side). May you provide an example feed-url which did not work for you?
    Here's a screenshot of when I set the URL to a Cyrillic RSS Feed:
    2 - and could you please hide the rss from the adminpage
    Unless you modified the Plugin code, it is not being displayed on the Admin page?! At least I could not reproduce that...
    3 - it seems that "$Rss->items_limit = 5; "
    There was ineed something wrong so items_limit has not been considered. I fixed that one.
  • Options
    lukoielukoie New
    edited June 2010
    @oliverraduner
    1 just add some title in russian, lets say this "последние известия" in your default.php file in the $RssFeedTitle
    2 i did not modified it(just commented the line for activities), but is IS showed in my adminpage
    3 should i re-download the plugin, did you uploaded the modifies version in the same plugin page?
  • Options
    Yes @lukoie, I uploaded Version 1.1 of the RSS Plugin

Regarding your title-encoding issue: please note that the title for the feed box will now be fetched automatically from the feed. Please let me know, if it's being displayed correctly for you.
  • Options
    @oliverraduner, it works as a breeze
    but please, could you restore the $rssfeedtitle, and just make it optional to use rss title, or own title?

i have a few WP sites, and forum integrated and the same theme, so basically users dont need to know its a different scripts (wp and vanilla), so i wanted to add the sites articles on the forums sidebar for users to feel comfortable its all the same one site.
    SO, i dont need the caption to double the sitename, because its already there, i want to call it lets say "the latest articles".
  • Options
    btw, the title's codepage is ok now, when it takes it from the rss feed
  • Options
    @lukoie I will add an option so you can have a custom title.

In the meantime, you could overwrite the line where it says <h4> with
    HtmlOut .= '<h4>Your Custom Title</h4>';
  • Options
    i did, thanx

and still, when i add the title in russian, it renders weird symbols on the site, so i must to convert your php file into utf8
  • Options
    That's strange @lukoie - because I saved it in UTF8. But does it work for you AFTER you converted it to UTF8 yourself??
  • Options
    yeah, it works as a breeze
    just what the doctor ordered
    cheers mate