Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

CAPTCHA

edited August 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
CAPTCHA

Comments

• Getting this error when I install it:
    Error Message
    Could not Add the CaptchaDisableDescription field to the User table
    Affected Elements
    CAPTCHA Installer.undefined();
    The error occurred on or near: Duplicate column name 'CaptchaDisableDescription'

Any insight would be appreciated.
  • For some reason, it try to reinstall some column in the DB, but they are already there. You just need to drop them (with phpmyadmin) and try again.
  • Does "dropping" simply empty these tables or does it remove them altogether?

Posted: Monday, 4 June 2007 at 8:41AM

• Well it took a couple of try's, but the extension is enabled and the DB entry is their-- but I'm not seeing the captcha when I attempt to test it.

Wanderer, 'dropping' drops tables, truncate empties.
  • Same question, I know 'dropping' 'drops' the table, does 'dropping' delete the table?
    So I guess I'm asking what is the definition of 'drop'?

Posted: Monday, 4 June 2007 at 12:52PM

• Yes, dropping deletes. As in completely remove. Truncate is essentially the same as "DELETE * FROM table WHERE id > 0".
  • eh...sorry...
    I'm dealing with the same problem but I can't find any column which is named like the mentioned above... so I can't delete anything but the problem is still the same...

perhaps someone could give me a hint.
  • It is in the user table. The column to delete is "CaptchaDisableDescription".
  • sorry for that, but there is no column "CaptchaDisableDescription"...
    :/
  • What is your error message?
  • as soon the extension is activated i get this error:

A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    Could not Add the CaptchaDisableDescription field to the User table
    Affected Elements
    CAPTCHA Installer.undefined();

The error occurred on or near: Duplicate column name 'CaptchaDisableDescription'

For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs
  • Just add in /path/to/vanilla/conf/settings.php:$Configuration['CAPTCHA_VERSION'] = '0.2.0';
  • there should be a feature that allows the applicant to refresh the captcha if it's too obfuscated to read.
  • yeah that would be a really good idea
  • because if they get to that part of the application form and realize they can't read it, they would have to refresh the page and re-enter what they had in the previous fields.

EDIT:

you could also limit it to 3 refreshes or so.
  • Nothing worse than a CAPTCHA picture that's difficult to read, lots of O and 0 characters as well as I and l which make the visitor work too hard just to post a comment, not to mention ugly and annoying artefacts covering parts of the text.
    I made my own JavaScript version which works so ridiculously simple plus I control what the images look like.
  • for Vanilla?? upload it man!

I looked at your profile to be sure you aren't a woman ;-)
  • It's already there, Minisweeper helped me put it together...

Guest Post

It's very basic but it's easy to pretty it up using CSS.
  • Hey, I had this working, and then it stopped working as soon as I disabled anonymous users from browsing the forum. It just says "Visual CAPTCHA." Every now and then, the CAPTCHA flickers, then goes back to "Visual CAPTCHA." It was working fine until I changed the setting. Any ideas?
  • Mate, turn the extension off!

If unregistered users are not allowed, there's no need for this extension.