Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User Wall

Comments

• vanoob you are AWESOME
    i have been waiting for someone to finally fix this shit up & get it right
    however like mis-one, i just installed the latest version linked by you a few posts above & also get nothing but this now :

"Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /public_html/extensions/UserWall/default.php on line 259"

can you help ?
  • what does beta 9 have fixed?
  • sorry, correct that
    THIS is the error i'm getting every time :

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/content/D/e/a/Deadsy/html/forum/extensions/UserWall/default.php on line 251

different line of the code ... any ideas guys ?
  • Hmm i can't seem to reproduce the error of line 259 or 251... Could anybody else who is having this problem post the the error message exactly together with what they were trying to do at the time this error occured, also please state the version of vanilla used and the datestamp of the userwall zip. As that section of code deals with retrieving information for validation for wall display. And as mis-one lead me to believe, this error was corrected.

With regards to the whisper system, i haven't had time to do much coding yet been really busy with everything else together with my computer breaking down again. I will try to get around to it.
  • well i think mis-one was having the error too, but he / she doesn't seem to be posting much any more
    but for what it's worth i have vanilla 1.1.4 (the latest), i downloaded the version of the zip most recently posted (i tried download it again just last night to see if it would work) and i have a very large vanilla forum with a number of extensions and users in the thousands, all of whom who have been using the original user wall extension for a year or more now.

i installed it by turning it off in the extensions, replacing the old 'UserWall' folder with your new folder & turning it back on again in the extensions. after that point it doesn't let me use the forum at all.

does that help a bit more ? would love to get this ironed out as i've been waiting for improvements for so long.

also when you say 'whisper system' does this mean you'll finally get notified when someone posts on your wall. so many of my users have been asking for that too.
  • what does beta 9 have fixed?
  • @Hamed, read the original post in which the link was updated you can see what's been changed in beta 9, also the fact that a bug cropped up means that it's not fixed exactly!

@libido, thanks for your input,i'm assuming by you saying you can't use the forum, i hope the problem is reversible for you, i would just hate it that my extension might have caused your forum to breakdown. I'm assuming that if it is reversable, that the error that caused the forum to fail was that line 251, and that returning the old userwall restores forum functionality. Right so i was wondering then if you could inform me the version of userwall you were using. Also with regards to what you refered to as "whipser" my whisper version was to keep the message private to the writer and the wall ower. As for the message notification system, i'm not sure if you have read the previous post in this thread, i still don't know how to implement it.

FWI: I will try to fix this bug first before implementing the whisper system, no point for me to release something that's broken And for those people who are experiencing this problem, i'm sorry i can't provide an older archive for you as since my file host broke down and my pc crashed i've lost the files. Luckily i had to send a person the attachment and that's how i was able to recover the file. So please bear with me while i try to crash my own extension and figure out what causes this crash, as i'm using this extension on my own forum and have not seen any problems.
  • Right so i've found out the what is causing people to receive the error
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in .... on line 251,259

The problem is actually with the php version in which the host is running, it seems that php4 doesn't like the chaining method used in those lines. The only alternative is to revert back to dirty dirty sql, in which the older version was using and that's why the errors didn't crop up. Well anyhow, i've implemented back the old sql again, i'm not sure if it has any significant drop in efficiency, but it's definitely more dirtier code. So as such, i've added in comments within the region of code for people who are using php5 to be able to use the nicer cleaner code. The next version i will release will be version 1.0 b10 which will include the "private/whisper" system.

In the meantime please download the Altered User Wall 1.0 Beta 9 (DateStamp: 2008-04-21) which should now be compatible with PHP4, with instructions on using PHP5 code. The previous links have not yet been altered, check datestamp on archive to confirm.
    New version available, fixed php4 compatibility problem.
  • ok so what did this error do? cuz i never got it
  • that error doesn't do anything. It's an error it's what that doesn't happen that causes an error. not the other way around. Just to re-iterate to those who might be a little confuse, that error crops up if you/your server/filehostingcompany is using PHP4. As the form of chaining method i used is not recognized by PHP4, it spits back that error just like you would be trying to chew on a bitter bitter toad. For people who's server is running PHP5, you will not see that error.

Anyhow back to the good news. I've out done myself this time. Within a day, i've optimized and cleaned up the codes and made the extension PHP4 friendly and even launched the new User Wall 1.0 Beta 10 as promised which includes, yes you got it right, "whisper" private messaging system. Yup you can leave yourself private notes too. I'll edit the original post so look up there for the new download archive and what to do.
  • vanoob you rule ! trying now. will let you know how it goes !
  • damn - i just tried it & all was going so well. i got the home page fine but the moment i got to my account page it appeared totally unskinned in the original white with this error message over the place where the wall usually sits:

"A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):
    Error Message
    An error occurred while retrieving wall posts.
    Affected Elements
    UserWall.Render();
    The error occurred on or near: Unknown column 'w.Private' in 'field list'
    For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs"

have switched back to my old installation now. any ideas on how to remedy this ? also it mentioned adjusting permissions on my forum in a note at the top on the home page, which makes me ask - if i have an extremely large amount of roles & permissions on my forum is it going to assume the default setting that anyone can comment on anyone's wall ? or am i going to have to go through every one & adjust it the moment it's installed properly ?
  • @ libido, sorry about that, i just realized in my haste to publish the new version i didn't make it as compatible as i could. The error you are receiving is due to the new column used by the whisper system cannot be found.

I've now uploaded the fixed version, you can download it using the original post. The date stamp will be (2008-04-25). Now just to make sure everything goes smoothly, you may need to edit your conf/settings.php. Find "USER_WALL_SCHEMA_VERSION" within your settings.php file and edit the value to 1.0.

This should allow for the upgrade to perform successfully, if this doesn't happen. If you don't mind reinstalling a fresh copy of the extension, i.e. wipe the old data and start again. Just delete the entire line completely.
  • awesome, thanks man
    downloading it right now
    will let you know how it goes !
  • crap - i tried just replacing my folder & it gave the same error
    so i tried changing it to 1.0 & it then gave a white box with a red outline in the account page saying user wall error
    then i tried removing the line in the settings & it has now killed my wall database & still doesn't work ...

any ideas, man ? i don't mind losing all my wall data that much. my users will be peeved but it's worth it for an upgrade. however given it's not working at all now & gives me this error on the account page :

"Some problems were encountered
    An error occurred while creating the User Wall database table."

what should i do ?
  • i just tried putting all the old settings back with the old wall folder & get this error on the accounts page now where the wall should be showing :

A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):
    Error Message
    An error occurred while retrieving wall posts.
    Affected Elements
    UserWall.Render();
    The error occurred on or near: Table 'deadsy.LUM_UserWall' doesn't exist
    For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs
  • in fact now it does it both ways with old & new folder - how do i create a new DB ?
  • @libido, wow you are raking up errors which i can't seem to emulate myself. Now i can go through step by step what you might have done wrong, but it would have seemed like somehow you've managed to delete your userwall table, and that's why you're getting a rendering problem using both the version that you have.

The easiest method i would say now, is to completely reinstall the extension. Now to do this, follow the entire steps down below.

1. Open up your mysql management system and look for the "*_UserWall" table, where * represents your table prefix. And backup the table. If you can't find the table, don't worry just go to the next step.
    2. Open up your forum and go to your extensions page and disable the user wall extension.
    3. Open up your conf/settings.php and search for the "USER_WALL_*" line. Delete both of them. And save the settings.php
    4. Backup your userwal folder if you wish by downloading onto HDD and delete the folder, don't leave any traces within the extensions folder.
    5. Upload the new UserWall extension folder
    6. Go back into your forum extension manager and enable the wall extension. User and role permissions should still be around from your previous install. But double check anyway.

So yeah hope that is a detailed enough instruction for you to completely reinstall the extension. I'm sorry that you may have lost your users data from the table, and please apologise to your fellow users on my behalf. I hope however that they will be happy with the new version.
  • hey man - yeah, sorry about this
    but we'll get to the bottom of it i'm sure
    & my users seem pretty cool about it so far - so it's all good

so i just followed your instructions to a T
    & got the following error once i had enabled the extension again in your last step :

"Some problems were encountered
    An error occurred while creating the User Wall database table."

that error appears on the account page & nothing else is visible on the account page as a result. thoughts?
  • @ libido, hmm that is quiet odd, did you try reinstalling using the same methods for your older version? and see if it worked? Because, that error only comes up during the installation process when the extension tries to get connected to your mysql database to, delete/drop your table and make a new one... And i haven't changed anything major in those codes. Also could you please inform me the version you are running previously? And if possible allow me to download a copy of the default.php to have a look at, you will need to zip it up or something, so it doesn't get parsed as a php document.

Could you somehow check if your database connection settings are correct?
This discussion has been closed.