Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Adding user accounts?

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi guys, I'm a newb so feel free to slap me around. I've looked for documentation but haven't found any on the basic operation of the site. I have found lots of docs on classes and functions. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Anyway long story to say, I can't add users through the Dashboard. I fill in all the info requested in the Add User dialog, click Administrator or Member role, the dialog box goes away, but no user is created. Checked in the DB, and there is definitely not a user created. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

G
Tagged:

Comments

• Adding that it seems that I cannot add messages either... I was able to add a user via the registration process, then change the user's role to admin. Maybe my dashboard is broken somehow?

G
  • So is this a piece of the puzzle? Both the add user and add message dialog boxes are ajax (at least I think they are). They are the only menus that pop over the previous settings page, and they both do not work for me. Coincidence... I think not!

G
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Consider giving us a detailed rundown of your environment...
    Server side:
    - OS, webserver, php version, mysql version
    - Exact Vanilla version
    Client side:
    - OS, browser

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. So I can assume that this is not happening with others, good. I have installed from scratch multiple times and have tested from at least 3 different PCs and still have this behavior. Browsers have been firefox 3.5.11 on WinXP, firefox (unknon version) on Ubuntu and old school IE 6 on WinXP. As for server, this is what I can get out of cpanel:

Operating system Linux
    Kernel version 2.6.9-89.0.25.ELsmp
    Architecture i686
    MySQL version 5.0.90-community
    Apache version 2.2.15
    PHP version 5.2.13

Vanilla I just downloaded, the file reports itself as 2.0.1

Thanks again,

Garth
  • I can't add messages either. I could when I first upgraded from 1 to 2 but now when I fill out the form and try to add it nothing happens. A little off topic but possibly related.
  • So Desmanthus,

You can use the add user function of the dashboard? I was thinking that perhaps the ajax popup was the problem as this is present with adding users and messages.

Thanks for the reply,

G
  • edited August 2010
    I haven't tried adding a user.

Update: I tried it and also cannot add users.
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks Desmanthus,

Did you see my system info posted above? Can you post your system info also? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

I created one of the free forums on vanillaforums.com and of course the add user and messages work perfectly there, so I guess it must be a server or configuration issue.

G
  • edited August 2010
    Also does anyone know a way to turn on debugging so I can try to find a failure point?

Edited: Found debugging, but debug doesn't work for the ajax pop up boxes for add users and messages.

Thanks

G
  • Bump??? New posts are not moving this back up the thread...
  • I have this same bug on one sever and my other one is ok.

Could we know what could be the problem? SQL or cmods?