Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Migration from hosted to self-hosted

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm thinking of starting a forum that is going to be small for a while, but will hopefully grow over time. If it gets larger and we want to do some custom stuff with it, we'd like to run on the self-hosted version of Vanilla.

Is it possible to start on VanillaForums.com (hosted) and later migrate to self-hosted?

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We'll always be happy to export your data for you as one of our core principles is that your data is always yours.

I'm very interested to hear your motivation for considering a departure from our hosted service. Is there something you feel we should be doing better?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Oh, no, nothing like that. I'm an amateur web developer and have one self-hosted Vanilla site already - but I've been thinking about trying the hosted service for a second forum that I'm going to start just because it seems like a good value (having someone else do the real work :D ).

But I like to tinker with stuff so there might come a point at which I decided it was worth the effort to control my own code on the second forum site, at which point I'd want to be able to switch back.

In other words, as a tinkerer, I would be hesitant to use the hosted service unless I knew that I could switch to self-hosted in the future if I decided for some reason that I wanted to.

That's all!

Thanks for your feedback!