Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Ability to hide Announcements from All Discussions?

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi all. I am new to Vanilla forum and have only been playing with it for about a day. I am testing out 2.0.3 and I absolutely love how customizable it is and I have already done a ton to make it my own. There is one thing that's bugging me though. My forum is setup in the following way:

Software 1
-- Bugs
-- Feature requests
-- Releases

Software 2
-- Bugs
-- Feature requests
-- Releases

Etc.

It is for software that I develop and I plan on using Vanilla to (you guessed it) track bugs, feature requests, and releases. I have a forum category setup for each of the software titles and then a forum for each of the 3 things under each piece of software. I would like to have a post pinned (or made an announcement as Vanilla calls it) at the top of each one. This post will be a "READ ME FIRST!" for how to submit a bug, submit a feature request, etc.

The problem that I've run in to is that when I have all of these announcements, when a user first lands on the "all announcements" page they see nothing but a ton of pinned posts. I figured out how to remove announcements from that list but then it actually removed all of the announcements in the whole forum. I would like to be able to do one of the following:

a) Prevent announcements from showing on the "all discussions" page, but still have them show in the individual forum where that announcement belongs to. This seems like it should be the default/expected behavior.

b) Remove the "all discussions" page entirely because most of my users would only be using one piece of software. The need to see all of the posts really isn't needed. I would prefer to replace "all discussions" with just a list of the topics. I thought this would be easy but I haven't had any luck as anything I do seems to affect every forum.

c) Pin a post to the top without making it an announcement, thus preventing it from showing on the first page. But from what I can tell Vanilla calls a pinned post an announcement though so that seems less likely.

Thanks for any help!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

i would love some comment on this as well..

• Options

I hate to bump an old topic, but is this even possible? I don't mind editing the direct Vanilla code if necessary. It makes the main page useless since all the stickies will clutter the main page.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

This is standard in 2.1. At this point I'd say "hang on a little longer for the upgrade".

• Options

Isn't there a lot of plugin compatibility issues with the new 2.1? Or should 2.0 plugins be supported?

• Options
    piotrnlpiotrnl New
    edited October 2014

@Linc said:
    This is standard in 2.1. At this point I'd say "hang on a little longer for the upgrade".

Been looking for this setting. Where do I change this ? I want to hide announcements from "recent discussions".

• Options

@piotrnl said:
    Been looking for this setting. Where do I change this ? I want to hide announcements from "recent discussions".

Looking for this too.