Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

CLEditor: (yet) another wysiwyg plugin

Comments

• Options
    I'm on Vanilla 2.0.6 and I get a big red message "The addon could not be enabled because it generated a fatal error: Success" whenever I try to enable the plugin. The "success" part is a bit wierd because there was definitely no success, it doesn't load :(

Also I've edited line 43 of default.php like rak said too.
  • Options
    Hm. Do you guys have this working satisfactorily on previews of edited posts? I'm experimenting with it, and if I invoke a preview while editing a post, the previewed text comes up in the text area (above the edited text). Worse still, when I go back to "write" mode, the "preview" text remains, transformed into raw html.

Would love to see this working, but it doesn't look like I can enable it for my users just yet.

To be honest, I personally don't need a full range of text editing options. My users would probably be happy with a simple way of rendering strikethroughs and indents. If anyone has any suggestions...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    @rak: I didn't try that.

Ultimately I disabled the plugin because it was too unstable for my tastes. I've started working on my own using the MarkItUp javascript editor. It's not WYSIWYG, but it's relatively simple and seems to work well.

I hope to get it buttoned up and released as a proper Vanilla Add-on in the nearish future.

Since it's just a markup editor, it keeps things much simpler and it sorta teaches people html at the same time.
  • Options
    @Lykaon: Looks like most of these WYSIWYG addons are running into deadends.

All the best with your markup editor!
  • Options
    Hello,
    i tried this plugin and seems to be good.
    i meet a bug with quotes plugin, i have to chose html first, and then comme back to wiysiwyg editor .(on chrome)

thanks for this job.
    Best regards.
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    I've started working on my own using the MarkItUp javascript editor. It's not WYSIWYG, but it's relatively simple and seems to work well.

I hope to get it buttoned up and released as a proper Vanilla Add-on in the nearish future.

Since it's just a markup editor, it keeps things much simpler and it sorta teaches people html at the same time.
    Any progress on MarkItUp, I have failed in trying to make it work myself
  • Options
    ShmizzleShmizzle New
    edited October 2010
    @rak: I didn't try that.

Ultimately I disabled the plugin because it was too unstable for my tastes. I've started working on my own using the MarkItUp javascript editor. It's not WYSIWYG, but it's relatively simple and seems to work well.

So basically, a user clicks the "bold" button (or something else) in your editor, and then the correct HTML is inserted into the comment box?

If so, I like the sound of that a lot better than WYSIWYG, personally. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: I just found this plugin.

EDIT2: That plugin I mentioned needs work though; it changes the default font, and for me it only works when creating a new discussion.
  • Options
    Anyone having problems with this plugin on iPhone?
    I have troubles with iphone and ipad. I only take the ipad with me when i travel, so I really would like to have that editor work with it... I can type the message but then it never loads the bottom of the page, so i can't submit the message :( Is there anything I can do about that?
    Vanilla default (=no editor) works fine, but the other jquery wysiwyg editor makes it impossible to even write anything with the iphone/ipad...
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've fixed a bunch of issues with this plugin, like:

1. Removed autogrow from textbox. Caused previous bug of showing both html and wysiwyg.
    2. Disabled safestyles. Caused inline css to be ignored when rendering comments.
    3. Added livequery so textareas loaded on the fly (ie. during an inline edit) get wysiwyg.
    4. Upgraded to CLEditor 1.3.0

I hope @rak doesn't mind me stepping on his toes a bit, but it was so close to perfect!
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've also uploaded and approved the new version. I'll link this discussion into the addon page as well.
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @Mark - illegal in the US because of being too awesome.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Update: found another bug and I'm working on a fix.
  • Options
    @Mark - My toes have been waiting to get stepped on! I have to agree with @Tim, I'm calling the police! Great work!

Will install and give it a go. Looking forward to the comments from @Lykaon, @tmilovan and others.
  • Options
    Update: found another bug and I'm working on a fix.
    Too many things changed today but with 2.0.13, this editor and quotes, I am having a problem. With 2.0.13 the 1.1 and the 1.1.1 quotes plugin just produces a "null" quote in the new message window. With CLEditor, I get nothing when I click on the quote button except the page scrolls to the top. Not sure if I should post this here or in quotes but something changed. CLEditor seems to work fine however.
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2010
    The way Quotes puts data into the quote box may not be compatible with CLE... I might have to code some compatibility into it :/

This is good though. When addons start knowing about each other and supporting each other, thats how the product gets really polished.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Fixed that last issue I had found. Tim still needs to look into the quotes collision, though.
  • Options
    @Mark: Updates are working really well.

The only issue I've seen so far is when adding a previewing a comment in a discussion... when you switch from "Preview" to "Write Comment" mode, the HTML view is visible above the WYSIWYG view: http://imgur.com/GishZ.gif

Maybe it's easiest (possible?) to hide the 'Preview' button as the WYSIWYG view is a preview anyway?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @rak - Good find. Uploaded new version with preview button removed.
  • Options
    I'm looking around, and using a different skin I have to edit the "indent" text box it shows up in, as my main color for text is white, and the textbox is bright yellow making it unreadable.

Is this in the CSS for the editor or Vanilla?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @brickerz - I noticed that as well. You can add this to your theme's custom.css file:
    ul.MessageList div.Message blockquote {
    background: none;
    border-radius: 0;
    -moz-border-radius: 0;
    -webkit-border-radius: 0;
    }