Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Quotes 1.0 Released

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This version fixes the AJAX bug where users running without RewriteUrls could not use the plugin.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Tagged:

Comments

• When I use this new version of the plugin, it seems to always take me to a new page to enter my comment. The quoted text is there, but it used to just jump down to the comment box on the bottom of the page rather than going to a new one.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Seems to work fine for me using both RewriteURLs TRUE and FALSE. Do you have javascript errors on your page?

• edited September 2010
    @Tim: I don't see any. I have RewriteURLs to FALSE. When I hit the quote button it takes me to a page like so:

http://WEB_ROOT/index.php?=/post/quote/731/Comment_227980
    I'll keep researching and see if I can figure it out. Might be some conflict with another plugin or something.

It happens in both Chrome and IE8, so it doesn't seem to be browser specific.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Quote plugin works with JS turned off. That's why the page gets rendered with the quote buttons as links, and then Javascript comes through and replaces those links with function calls. If your JS is getting halted before that somehow, or if this selector isnt matching somehow, that would explain your bug:
    $('span.CommentQuote a').each(function(i,el){...})

I think this is something on your forum in particular. Maybe a plugin or extension. Greasemonkey?

• edited September 2010
    @Tim: No Greasemonkey, but that gives me a good lead. I turned off all the other plugins except Quotes and it seems to be working now. So now I just need to hunt down the culprit.

Sorry to blame the Quotes add-on. That's bad investigative technique on my part.

Edit: I don't know how I'm doing it, but I seem to be getting into some state (sometimes, but not all the time) where the following line of code on line 65:

var QuotebackURL = gdn.url('/plugin/quotes/getquote/'+QuotedElement);
    returns a blank string. I put a Javascript alert in there to see what I was getting and that seems to be the case. I switched that line to:

var QuotebackURL = gdn.definition('WebRoot')+'/index.php?p=/plugin/quotes/getquote/'+QuotedElement;
    and it works more reliably. The Quote links are being rewritten correctly by javascript so that's not the problem.

This is undoubtedly a problem unique to me, but I thought it'd be useful to describe my investigation for those who might get into the same pickle.