Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Failed opening required '/.../httpdocs/forum/applications/controller

judgejjudgej
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have just moved a test instance of Vanilla 2 from one domain on a web server to another domain, but in a sub-folder. I have updated .htaccess in the sub-folder to set the root folder, but all I get is that error. File permissions have also been set correctly.

Looking in Google, it seems that many sites seem to have this problem and it seems to be related to server settings. The test Vanilla I have moved has just moved between domains on the same server, so all the options should be the same between the two.

Any ideas what I should look at next?

Comments

• judgejjudgej
    edited September 2010
    I have tried putting the rewrite rules in the root folder, but that does not make any difference:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/forum RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /forum/index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

I know the RewriteRule is being triggered, because I can set it to redirect to any other page on the website.
  • did you adjust RewriteBase?RewriteBase /yoursubdir
    there's a short explanation in the original .htaccess
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Delete the ini files in your cache folder, too.
  • Aha - the ini files. Had a look in them and they contain a tonne of absolute paths, so that is why it was failing. Deleting those and all started up smoothly. Thanks.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I think I might be able to automatically fix this in the future by storing Vanilla's "known" absolute docroot in the conf, and then check that stored value against reality on each page load. If reality changes, delete all cache files and reset the stored string

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• judgejjudgej
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like a plan :-)

Something else it may be worth looking at while in the cache directory, are the folder permissions. The folders are all created by the web process and do not give write permission to the group or other users.

What this means is that you need to be root to do anything in the cache folders, even to delete them (you cannot delete a folder if you do not have write permission to it *and* it contains anything such as files or further folders). Many hosting packages do not provide root access. The same thing happens with the config.php file when it is created - I needed to go in as root to change its permissions so that it could be modified by both the web user and the FTP user.

Dunno if I should raise that as a bug?
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I don't really know if this is a bug... I'm gunna say its not. I agree that its annoying, but this is so trivial that if the community wants it fixed, more power to the community, and I look forward to the pull request.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]