Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Where to translate the Guest Welcome message? guest.php

pixelinepixeline New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I would like to translate into French the default Welcome message once sees when not logged in.

I found the View in applications/dashboard/modules/guest.php

But it calls for

echo T($this->MessageCode, $this->MessageDefault);
Where then can i set this MessageCode?

Thanks,

Alexandre

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    I did a source code search. It revealed that $this->MessageCode is set in class.guestmodule.php like so:
    public $MessageCode = 'GuestModule.Message';

Additionally, looking up the T() function, I found this:
    /** * Translates a code into the selected locale's definition. * * @param string $Code The code related to the language-specific definition. * Codes thst begin with an '@' symbol are treated as literals and not translated. * @param string $Default The default value to be displayed if the translation code is not found. * @return string The translated string or $Code if there is no value in $Default. * @see Gdn::Translate() */ function T($Code, $Default = '') { return Gdn::Translate($Code, $Default); }

Thus, 'GuestModule.Message' is the translation code and can be modified in the locale file for your forum, found here:
    /applications/vanilla/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

To redefine that code in particular, something like this would work:
    $Definition['GuestModule.Message'] = "Looks like you're new round these parts. Tie up your horse and sit yerself down fer a drink.";

Good luck.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Great, it works a treat! Thanks a lot also for the thorought explanation!