Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How can I configure for email notification?

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi there

I'm using self-hosted newest version of Vanilla, It's hosted by Hostgator, but the email notification feature doesn't work. I took a look in Vanilla dashboard but don't see how to configure it. Please show me how, thank you

Comments

• Options
    I had the same problem too
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2010
    I believe Vanilla uses the mail() function my default, which generally requires sendmail (or equivalent) to be running on your server (it usually is). Are other apps able to send email from your server? Some hosts disable that feature to prevent spam. You might want to contact them to ask and/or request it be enabled.

Alternatively, look at Settings -> Outgoing Email in the Dashboard. Check "Use an SMTP server to send email" and then fill in the settings for whatever email server your host uses (I'm assuming you have email accounts with your domain).
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited October 2010
    I've been testing this fairly thoroughly over the past six hours and I'm certain that the Notification system is buggy.

Here's what I noticed:

If you send someone a brand new private message, out of the blue, they don't get a notification -- even though their Preferences say that they should. (It helps to test this with a brand new user). If the receiver of that new private message logs in, they won't see a visible inbox-count alerting them that there is a new message for them. So, right away, there appears to be a message count problem when the first unread message is received.

If you reply to a private message, the receiver gets TWO notifications! Both EmailNotification, and EmailStoryNotification are sent simultaneously.

So, it's easy to think that your outgoing email isn't working, when in fact the notifications just aren't being sent properly.
  • Options

Anyone have anything new in terms of how this is working or not working for them?