Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Customizing Vanilla

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi There,

I'm with a development company, we're new to Vanilla. We've chosen Vanilla for the Forum component of our new custom app and have a list of modifications we'd like to make.

I'm hoping someone can advise us whether there are addons / settings within Vanilla that can accomodate some of these:

1. We want to allow registered forum users to browse all forums (categories), but to "enroll" in certain forums, and only allow forum users for posts / comments to their enrolled forums (categories).

2. We want the ability to see posts from "My Categories" or "All Categories"

I suppose there's a few possible options, please advise which ones make sense:
a) If there's an addon or configuration option to do this that'd be swell.
b) If it's not already an addon, can you suggest whether this makes sense as an addon?
c) I understand the Vanilla team does custom dev work - how much would this cost?

Look forward to feedback.

Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    1) I might be misunderstanding this one, but perhaps Category Permissions for certain Roles would do the trick. We allow the creation of "Roles" (user groups) and these Roles can have custom permissions for certain Categories. You could make the default Role have View permissions globally, and then have various Roles for each sub Category that provided the Write component.

2) Not sure how this one would work, but you could definitely write an addon that added a button (tab, really) to the main page called My Categories which, when clicked, looped all categories, checked which categories had write permission, and showed only topics from those Categories...

If you're interested in custom development work, please don't hesitate to send us an email at support@vanillaforums.com

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Thanks for your reply - will review.

Cheers,
    Keith