Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Some weird problems of a newbie

helmihelmi
edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

i'm just setting up my first form with vanilla 2. Basically everything went well and the forums up and running. That's been the good news ;-)

Some problems arise now and most of them could most likely be solved by better reading but i really dug through the docs and couldn't find anything:

1. Where's that switch to activate the pretty URLs? I got Apache (2.x) running with php via fast_cgi, mod_rewrite is enabled, the .htaccess is in place but i miss the switch (or config line) in vanilla to say "hey lets get started with these nasty nice urls" :)

2. where can i customize the default theme? I basically like it but i'd want some other colors and probably put in some rounded corners here and there. In the themes/default folder i can't find any piece of html/template stuff. get it:

3. I can't seem to get Twitter and Facebook Connect to work. I've setup applications on both systems and activated everything in vanilly (of course copied the keys and secrets as described). When i click on the twitter symbol next to the login button as a guest i get a popup with a login form of my own forum with the social buttons aside (not anything from twitter like it should and like its working here at vf.org) and when i click facebook i get to facebook, do the login and then get messages that tell me Provider and UniqueID are missing and the connection data has not been verified.

EDIT: the same goes for google login. It just opens the forums login form in a popup.

Is this probably due to the apps on twitter and facebook just been created? Do they need some hours until they work or am i just missing anything else?

Any help is appreciated!

Many Thanks!
Frank

Comments

• I might be able to help you a little. You can edit the theme's CSS by going to applications, dashboard, design, then the style.css is the main CSS file.

I can't help you with the pretty URLs... mine worked out of the box without me changing anything.

As far as the social media login plugins... I don't think I can't help you much there either. :) Mine work, except for one issue which I won't get into, but all in all, they do log me in.

Hopefully someone else can help you out!
  • cdavidcdavid New
    edited November 2010

1. Where's that switch to activate the pretty URLs? I got Apache (2.x) running with php via fast_cgi, mod_rewrite is enabled, the .htaccess is in place but i miss the switch (or config line) in vanilla to say "hey lets get started with these nasty nice urls" :)

2. where can i customize the default theme? I basically like it but i'd want some other colors and probably put in some rounded corners here and there. In the themes/default folder i can't find any piece of html/template stuff. get it:

3. I can't seem to get Twitter and Facebook Connect to work. I've setup applications on both systems and activated everything in vanilly (of course copied the keys and secrets as described). When i click on the twitter symbol next to the login button as a guest i get a popup with a login form of my own forum with the social buttons aside (not anything from twitter like it should and like its working here at vf.org) and when i click facebook i get to facebook, do the login and then get messages that tell me Provider and UniqueID are missing and the connection data has not been verified.

EDIT: the same goes for google login. It just opens the forums login form in a popup.
    1. conf/config.php -- you should have a $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = FALSE; -- make it $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

2. @greenlizard ... that is not that indicated to do because you will have to adjust your theme and overwrite with every update of Vanilla. Better look here: http://vanillaforums.org/page/ThemeQuickStart

3. Haven't tried those. can't help.

/cd

• Looks like Facebook, Twitter and stuff all depend on pretty URLs. If this is fixed they all work fine.

And thanks for the ThemeQuickStart Guide. I'll read that later.
  • @Todd -- Is it true that Facebook & co. logins depend on pretty URL-s?

/cd