Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Idea/Request: Reply Email Notifications

A great addition to this plugin would be an email notification sent to the user whose comment was replied to. In addition, I suppose it would be helpful to add an on/off option for this to the user preferences section.

Comments

• judgejjudgej
    edited December 2010
    I started typing "but Vanilla already does this", then realised it *almost* does.

Users can elect to receive notifications for replies to their bookmarked discussions and to discussions that they own. What does not work is notifications to replies to people's comments. It also struck me that this is the very reason people often start posts with @whoever in an attempt to notify the comment writer that something is being discussed that they were involved in.

So yes, a good idea. I'll have a look to see how this would work (with the least duplication of code that exists to send out other notifications). I assume this module could hook into the core user options page so that a new option could be given to users, "Notify me of replies to my comments".

Any pointers to save me a little time, as always, much appreciated.

-- Jason
  • I think it should be in the core that users who do the initial post should be notified (by email) when ever a comment is made. Like that of bookmarking.
  • I think I just realised how to implement this: if the comment was pre-loaded with @Username then submitting that would send a notification to the user, so long as they have requested to receive such notifications.

One thing that I am not sure Vanilla has solved yet, is how to deal with usernames containing spaces. Personally I think it should treat *any* non-valid username character as a space (except punctuation, as we don't want to suck in commas and full stops on the end of a username). So @Fred-Bloggs would notify "Fred Bloggs" as would "@Fred_Bloggs".