Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Integrating into Joomla and downloading files

edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a Joomla website for 'website developers' and use Jomsocial as the community, Kunena for the forum and Docman for downloads. This took a lot of time to install and set up; quite simply we offer free templates for our members to download. Membership is also free!

I discovered Vanilla during the early morning hours today while searching for a Tweets plugin for Joomla. I have now downloaded it and installed it into our team building site; also Joomla. As I had disabled membership in Joomla it was easy to use Vanilla for members! Looks great with the site too!

Comparing Vanilla to Kunena it was much easier to install, set up and easier to use! As most members hardly ever contribute to my web developers site I am contemplating installing Vanilla there also and removing the other 3 large components. However, am I able to offer my free website templates for download using Vanilla? I do not want my guests to upload anything; just download my templates from a page within Vanilla!

From my perspective it would be much easier to install Vanilla, much lighter and as I had already wrote above easier to use with a cleaner interface! Simply be disabling Joomla log in, and embedding the code it fits into any Joomla website!

Regards

Toni
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Toni,

a question to you: How did you install vanilla in joomla? Are you able to explain your steps in a short way?

Greetz & Thanks
    Juergen
  • Hi Juergen

In a way I didn't integrate it into Joomla. I just disabled the Joomla registration and pasted the Vanilla embed code into a page and it just works great! This way members sign into Vanilla but I am able to use the Joomla design, components and template. I hope I wrote it clearly

Regards

Toni
  • You should be able to allow registered members download capabilities using the plugin "fileupload" as long as there's no need for members to check "agree to terms" -ala sobi2 and DocMan. The plugin is simple upload/download featuresets, remember to check and add permissions per member level you wish to allow dl rights to e.g. disable upload rights to all but yourself and enable download rights to all registered members.
  • Thanks Kevin. This is much simpler and lighter on my Joomla website.

Regards
    Toni
  • Hi Juergen

In a way I didn't integrate it into Joomla. I just disabled the Joomla registration and pasted the Vanilla embed code into a page and it just works great! This way members sign into Vanilla but I am able to use the Joomla design, components and template. I hope I wrote it clearly

Regards

Toni
    Hi Toni,

okay, thats the way I think too, to do this. I will try this. But I have convert my 20.000 SMF 2.0 messages to phpbb3 and than import to vanilla. I hope, nothing of the content (messages & users) will losed during these process.
    And I have to say: That is a great website you have with the teambuilding. Great doing!

Thanks & I will answer back if I have a result

greetz
    Juergen
    aka neo67
    http://www.linuxmintusers.de