Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Change default role in Vanilla 2

Hello guys,

I migrated my forum from phpbb3. I changed all roles and deleted "members" and "new members" from Vanilla. Now, new users have no roles and can not access my forum... (!).

Well, I need to create a new default role. I don't see any function to do this in dashboard. So, I opened the conf/config-defaults.php file and found this line:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ApplicantRoleID'] = 4; // The "Applicant" RoleID.

In the table "GDN_Role" I found my roles. There is a role (registrated) with RoleID=496. Can I change the "Applicant RoleID" above and put there "496"?

I will get this:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ApplicantRoleID'] = 496; // The "Applicant" RoleID.

Is that correct?

Comments

• Would like to know answer also

• forumimobiliario said:
    Hello guys,
    So, I opened the conf/config-defaults.php file and found this line:

Ahum, you do know that the real configuration is in conf/config.php right?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• My ApplicantRoleID is blank, what should it be? The roleid of the member or the members waiting activation.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

Its all based on a binary and is additive the higher the number the more power
    if you create a role that has more permissions than standard moderator it will be 33.

I believe the roleid 496 is incorrect I believe. It should be 2,3, or 4. If it is 8 they automatically become members. I believe the configuration change you made will only apply to new members that apply.

look in the **role **table 

2  Guest   Guests can only view content. Anyone browsing the ...   2   0   0
     3  Confirm Email   Users must confirm their emails before becoming fu...   7   1   1
     4  Applicant   Users who have applied for membership, but have no...   3   0   1
      8     Member  Members can participate in discussions.     4   1   1
     16     Administrator   Administrators have permission to do anything.  6   1   1
     32     Moderator   Moderators have permission to edit most content.    5   1   1

the UserRole table will match the user to the role identified in the role table

cross posts
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19709/default-roles-such-as-guest-have-been-deleted-and-i-dont-know-how-to-fix#Item_4

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19699/documentation-users-have-been-orphaned-how-do-i-auto-add-them-all-to-a-role#Item_2

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.