Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Allow Author to Close Discussion

edited January 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I want to allow the person who started a discussion to close/open the discussion if they feel the need to. As it stands, I know I can change the roles and permission for members, but I wasn't sure if that gave all members the ability to close/open a discussion, or only the author.

Comments

• Anybody out there?
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    There doesn't seem to be a method for doing this yet, but its a good idea.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• That would be an amazing feature, so Authors can have more control over their own discussions. Thanks.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    We're considering how to properly implement this. It goes hand-in-hand with allowing authors to delete their own comments and discussions. Stay tuned.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    +1 for this feature request
  • Hrm I like the idea of giving a discussion-starter a sort of cusom user level within their own discussion so they can moderate it (to some extent) themselves.
  • I do exactly need this option too. However, there does not seem to be an answer to this question for a while. Can anyone help on this issue?

• Any news on this one? It's a very useful option.

• I really want this. I wish that authors could do anything they want with their discussions except announcing the discussion. Close, delete, edit (always), sink, but not announce.

• @Lincoln what are the reports about it?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@ilovetech said:
    Lincoln what are the reports about it?

I'm not clear what you're asking...

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited October 2013

You can enable your authors to always be able to edit by using the Advanced Forum Settings page (http://forum.example.com/vanilla/settings/advanced)

EDIT - There are no event hooks in the discussion controller pertaining to closing or deleting discussions, but I could see wrapping similar functionality in a plugin with different permissions checking. Then you would do some preliminary permissions checking and only insert the options if they don't have the all reaching permissions and are the author of this discussion.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

In 2.1, there is the ability to allow authors to delete their own comments via config.

• @Lincoln How do you allow authors to delete their own comments via the config file?

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

In 2.1b2, the config setting that goes in /conf/config.php to allow authors to delete their own comments if they are still allowed to edit is:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Comments']['AllowSelfDelete'] = TRUE;

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @shadowdare I changed my mind, but what's up with this new button bar? I was kinda wondering why the site was down.

• And @Lincoln This discussion about "Deleting and Editing your own comments" should be split. Almost 98.99% of that topic is COMPLETELY different from why this discussion was started. We should split those comments to another discussion