Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[FIXED] max characters in topic title

ojjuanojjuan New
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
What is the right way to change the max length in a topic or question title? There seems to be some guidance for Vanilla 1 here but that doesn't seem to apply to Vanilla 2. I updated the Discussion table in MySQL and changed the Name field to 200 but that did not work.

I'm using v2.0.17.6, MySQL 5.1.52.

Comments

• Options
    Made the change by

1. updating the Name field in the discussion table to varchar(200)
    2. modified line 17 discussion.php in /applications/vanilla/views/post to

echo $this->Form->TextBox('Name', array('maxlength' => 200));

don't know if this is the "right" solution but it lets us post longer topics
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks alot! that worked perfectly for me..
    but unfortunately there is one bug with it, which is, some times when you type in the topic's title it can be as large as you types.. i.e. the limit of 200 chars.has no effect at all,, and that could probably enable spammers to deform the forum with these very long titles.
    does the same thing happens with your board?
    please help me to find a solution.
    btw: im using Vanilla 2.0.17.9 with Arabic locale and an Arabic RTL theme which was originally developed for version 2.0.16.
    any help would be appreciated.
  • Options

@ojjuan's solution didn't work for me -- I also had to edit discussion.php in my theme too, so:

/themes/NAMEOFTHEME/views/post

That does the trick.